Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Grade 12 Calculus
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Mr. T

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:42 pm   Post subject: Grade 12 Calculus

This relates to the "math student" topic, but there are some differences that I wanted to bring up, so I decided to post a completely new topic.

I know in my school, they are thinking of converting all grade 11 M math courses to U math because apparently, you can't get into grade 12 calculus without U math (everyone who initially chose M math assumed that they would be able to). I don't know if this is a botch up by the administration or just a random curriculum change, but to the best of my knowledge, my school will have grade 12 calculus next year. I'm not sure if this will be the case in any other school (I go to a private school), as most people on the forum are under the impression that calculus will be dropped completely from the curriculum.

Everything I've said up to this point has been relayed onto me by math teacher. However, he said that on Thursday, all math teachers at my school, along with the administration, are going to have a meeting in order to discuss specific changes. On Thursday, I'll update everyone with exactly what changes were instated.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If your school is planing on making chages to clac or any other grade 12 corses they run the risk of messing up uni addmisions for there students. Public schools do not have a choice so this is not a problem for them but if a private school starts messing withe the criumual they could run in to some big problems. I do not get why it whold be a problem that u need 11 U math to get in to a 12 U math corse, that seems prity strait forword to me and was very clear when i whent throw high school. Realy there are 2 streams throw the hole system U/acdmeick and M/C/applied. I do not see why one whould think they could get in to a grade 12 U math corse by doing a M one, esptaly since the criumitioal is very clear on this fact.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Mr. T

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:02 am   Post subject: Alex's Opinion

Well on the course list at the beginning of the year, it said both M and U grade 11 math could be used as prerequisites for grade 12 calculus.

Furthermore, I don't see why you'd think M math can't lead into calculus. The only extra course in U math is conics, and it's not as if you need conics to understand calculus. Confused
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:05 am   Post subject: Re: Alex's Opinion

Pwned wrote:
Well on the course list at the beginning of the year, it said both M and U grade 11 math could be used as prerequisites for grade 12 calculus.

LOL, once again another adavatge of public schools, they get there corse calidainers form the minsitry.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:07 am   Post subject: (No subject)

The bottom line is that if you take 11M, you'll be missing out on core consepts required to understand 12U. Otherwise one would have a difficult time keeping up with the new material without a suplementary summerschool course.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:08 am   Post subject: Re: Alex's Opinion

Pwned wrote:

Furthermore, I don't see why you'd think M math can't lead into calculus. The only extra course in U math is conics, and it's not as if you need conics to understand calculus. Confused

Well the marking system is sposted to be difrent for starts and secondly you whould just be punshing the students that toke the U math and rewarding thos that whont to do less work, or less harder work. I think that if they take a make up corse over the summer or somthing they should be able to.
Mr. T

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:09 am   Post subject: Alex's Opinion

Tony wrote:
The bottom line is that if you take 11M, you'll be missing out on core consepts required to understand 12U. Otherwise one would have a difficult time keeping up with the new material without a suplementary summerschool course.

The core concept being conics. Confused
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:12 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm sure they cover more than that in a term, else they wouldn't have two different courses.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mr. T

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:15 am   Post subject: Alex's Opinion

Nope. In my school, the only difference between M and U math is conics. And since there is this extra course, the U math class goes just a little faster than M. These are the only differences.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:23 am   Post subject: Re: Alex's Opinion

Pwned wrote:
Nope. In my school, the only difference between M and U math is conics. And since there is this extra course, the U math class goes just a little faster than M. These are the only differences.

It sounds like your school is not falowing mistray guid lines very well at all. I whould be very woried about what whould happen if unis start to realize this. Also it could be bad in 1st year uni for you if you are missing units.
Mr. T

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:26 am   Post subject: Alex's Opinion

Actually, my school is held in high regards, as 96% of ppl who apply to university get 1st or 2nd choice. So, I really am not sure what the big problem is with this math confusion.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 12:28 am   Post subject: Re: Alex's Opinion

Pwned wrote:
Actually, my school is held in high regards as 96% of ppl who apply to university get 1st or 2nd choice.

That staticis means very litte, i know of some exteramly bad school who have almost 100% but this is just b/c so litte peoleop apply. Also i highly question the sorce of you stat right there or where u are geting any of that infromation.
we64

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 6:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Grade 11 U math, hmm.. I remeber that, two years ago. It was a pretty hard course I must admit. In highschool, it is probably the second hardest course (NO AP calculus, and Discrete is First). The reason for it is harder than Calculus is that it covers tons of stuff and useful stuff too. Conics knowledge are useful for doing related rates and optimization problems in university or AP. The material grade 11 math covers is a lot with lots of variety.
djlenny_3000

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 9:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Conics is very hard i really dont enjoy it but in my school the difference is the same 11m=calculus or data management 11u=all of the above + geo and discrete

we64 is conics used much in university math and also what math courses are there in university
we64

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I am not in university, but I am in AP calculus BC, which is pretty much the same level of university first year class. Conics are one of the hard questoins for Optimization and related rates and when it comes to integration is used quite often for higher level.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 23 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: