Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Allowing Editing of Posts in Help Forums
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Do you think editing of posts should be allowed in help forums?
(No ending time set)
Yes
70%
 70%  [ 19 ]
No
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
Don't care
7%
 7%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 27

[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:08 pm   Post subject: Allowing Editing of Posts in Help Forums

It should be allowed since it causes lots of double posts, and other inconveniences. I've seen a lot of people complaining... Till a better solution is found this restriction just causes more problems than it solves.

Maybe just allow editing till someone posts after?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:12 pm   Post subject: Re: Allowing Editing of Posts in Help Forums

[Gandalf] wrote:
Maybe just allow editing till someone posts after?

I like this idea, though Dan would be the one implementing the solution, so it would ultimatly be his call on how possible that is.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It used to be this way but users masivey aboused it. Affter they got help they whould edit there posts so no one could see what the origal content was. This kind of defates the purposes of saving all the help topics so users could referce them when they have simalr problems.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 7:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

So allowing posts to be edited only if nobody has answered solves that, since they can't edit once they have already gotten help...

The way it currently is just causes problems to the average user, which affects a much larger range of people than those who abuse it.
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Can you set it so that users can edit their posts in help for up to five minutes after they've been made? I think this would solve the issue.
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
Can you set it so that users can edit their posts in help for up to five minutes after they've been made? I think this would solve the issue.

I can not set it to do ether that or gandalf's sugestion, tho i psoably could mod it to do so. I will try to look in to it during the updates next week.

I do not see how not being able to edit should case problems for double posting, but rath whould only cause problems due to delete setings.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 8:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
I do not see how not being able to edit should case problems for double posting, but rath whould only cause problems due to delete setings.

Well... Yes, and nobody wants to do that. It's much easier to just edit than copy your post, then have to rewrite any bbcode, etc.
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oops, I just made a double post Embarassed

ah well, I guess it helps gandalf's cause.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
Hacker Dan wrote:

Well... Yes, and nobody wants to do that. It's much easier to just edit than copy your post, then have to rewrite any bbcode, etc.

Eh? Why whould you have to repost if you double posted? You whould just have to delete one of them...........
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 9:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Come to think of it, if people do a double post they can just say "Sorry, double post." and a moderator can delete it for them.

Our system is fine. Anyone has a problem, PM me or Dan or Tony or one of the 400 other mods on the site.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Argh! I pressed "submit" and compsci breaks Shifty

You misunderstand me. I'm not talking about posting the same thing twice by mistake. I am talking about seeing somethng wrong with you post, so you can either ignore it if it's minor or make a consecutive post saying where you made a misake.
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 10:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
Argh! I pressed "submit" and compsci breaks Shifty

You misunderstand me. I'm not talking about posting the same thing twice by mistake. I am talking about seeing somethng wrong with you post, so you can either ignore it if it's minor or make a consecutive post saying where you made a misake.

Ah i hit the big red buttion that says "do not press", luck i just instaed one that is green and says "press to save from pressing red buttion" so we are all good.

About editing, i realy do not know. I whont users to be able to edit there posts but at the same time i do not whont to see posts start disapering.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 12:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Maybe we could force the user to click preview before they post in the help forum (like on slashdot).
Amailer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Timed edit is the best, programmingtalk.com has that I believe its 15 minutes, good enough time to look over your post and check of any changes needed to be made/added. For some odd reason, I can't find a mod already built to do this for phpBB Confused

[EDIT: hehe]
Nevermind, found something I think, not sure Rolling Eyes

[EDIT:2]
Or you know, you could always save the origional, and add it to the edited message with php if is a totally new post Rolling Eyes Like how i'm doing right here.

[EDIT:3]
Could get a bit annoying though...

[EDIT:4]
Yeah...
djlenny_3000

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Personally id didnt really mind back when i always needed help

O boy did i need help

but if people start complaining then do it also make it so that a double post dosnt get you bits, ie. i post now and for 4 hours i cant post again or its worth nothing or if i post right after myself i lose bits for both posts

its an idea Thinking
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 25 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: