Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Dammit I've got another virus. Need help.....
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
mapleleafs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 2:18 pm   Post subject: Dammit I've got another virus. Need help.....

Okay first off, one of my programs wouldn't start and I kept getting that annoying Windows Error Report dialog. So I assumed my system was infected so I downloaded an anti-virus program called AVG, from a company called Grisoft (from www.download.com). I installed it, opened it up, and performed a scan. Now, my computer is even more messed up. Whenever I try to open a program (most of them) I get a dialog saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 4:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Let me pre-empt wtd here by saying first: get a decent OS. Wink
md

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

or if your determined to stay with windows do a complete re-install, including the step where you wipe teh drive clean...
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm. Microsoft has been bragging about its new AntiVirus tool (now in Beta) available at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/onecare/default.mspx . Before you do a reinstall, how about trying out this new toy. Let's see if MS did this right Smile
codemage

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 5:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Use Avast instead of AVG. It's several times better.
Try cleaning off adware & spyware too. Use Ad-Aware or Microsoft's removal tool.
Then try repairing the registry. JV16 does the trick.

All of that stuff is free - try that before wiping your drive.

...and then wipe the drive, if necessary. Sad
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm I would suggest using SpySweeper and Registry cleaner before you remove the Viruses using antivirus also get a good Firewall such as Zonealarm. Smile
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Nay. I did a bit of research. I found that Kaspersky and F-Secure are the best.

F-Secure is faster in scanning files than Kaspersky (or most other anit-virus tools for that matter), but Kaspersky on the other hand has a more powerful (as in better administrative options) anti-virus tool.

I suggest (based on what I've read) using F-Secure (like I am right now) for personal use. If you host your own small business etc.. or if you have a rather large network at home then I suggest using Kaspersky.

Note: Neither companies are known for their firewall/hacker prevention software. They are best for their anti-virus alone.
mapleleafs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright, here's what happened basically. My friend lent me "Need for Speed: Most Wanted", and it had a program called "speed_loader.exe" which you were required to use, if you wanted to start the game. After a couple of hours, I noticed my computer acting all screwy (eg. things wouldn't open, uninstall). Then I downloaded the aforementioned anti virus program called AVG, which identified and deleted a very very very large number of corrupted .exe files, which were supposedly infected by something called a win32/parite (not sure of exact spelling). Consequently, since most of the .exe s were deleted, a ton of my programs wouldn't work. After that, I tried a system restore, but that didn't work, so I had to resort to formatting my computer... Sad
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

So... all the infected exe's were deleted by AVG... I'm SURE it prompted you before it did that lol Razz
mapleleafs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Lol, well i thought when i clicked delete it would delete the virus, not the file. yeah it was pretty stupid on my behalf. but i guess the moral of the story is don't get AVG!! Very Happy

btw it's probably i good thing i formatted, because now my computer is so much faster than before
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

mapleleafs wrote:
i guess the moral of the story is don't get AVG!!

...if you don't know what "delete" means or don't know how to operate a computer...

Well, at least you got your computer back and problem solved. I think the true moral of the story is: "don't trust your friend to give you a 'copy' of your favourite game".
codemage

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:58 am   Post subject: (No subject)

The last unbiased review of AV programs that *I* read had Pc-Cillin on top, although I've used Kaspersky & F-Secure & they're both right up there.
didsbub

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Use AdAware SE Personal. Its gets rid of all spyware and viruses. It's great Very Happy
md

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

didsbub wrote:
Use AdAware SE Personal. Its gets rid of all spyware and viruses. It's great Very Happy

AdAware get's rid of *some* spyware. Not all. And no viruses. Think before you speak, and stop reviving old dead or dieing topics.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 14 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: