Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Introduction to Actionscript
Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> Flash MX Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:05 am   Post subject: Introduction to Actionscript

Hi, I'm TheZsterBunny.

Usually I post on the Turing or Spam forums, but I've decided to become more involved with flash.

Now, I've been using flash for a long time, but only recently have I been introduced to programming in Actionscript. I can do basic commands (stop, gotoandplay), but I would really like to learn more about this language.

If anyone would like to help me learn actionscript, I would be very appreciative.

-ZsterBunny

p.s. its not just for me. my compsci teacher plans to have me teach flash in his web class next year.

p.p.s. i know that there are tutorials out there, but none of them seem to help explain the syntax.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
zylum

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 11:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i could help, although i havent done flash in a long time (about a year now)... it would really help if you knew java since actionscript is heavily based on java...

btw, my footer was done in flash Wink
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:42 am   Post subject: (No subject)

wouldn't the opposite be true then?

I have both ICS 4M and [web page course] this year.

would you recommend learning actionscript and then java, or vice versa?

-Z
zylum

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

what i meant was that if you already knew java that would be nice because then learning AS would be a breaze... not that you should learn java before actioscript...
McKenzie

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 1:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, actually they both derive from C/C++ syntax, so Java is more a sibling of Actionscript than a parent.
Be patient Z, try :
http://www.actionscript.org/tutorials.shtml
The early tutorials seem over-simple, but go through them.
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 8:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thanks

-Z

-edit-

reading into this, it seems that Actionscript 2.0 is not too different from turing. except for the fact that they got rid of the stupid 'end ___' things people needed.

-Z
The_Triangle

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

TheZsterBunny wrote:
thanks

-Z

-edit-

reading into this, it seems that Actionscript 2.0 is not too different from turing. except for the fact that they got rid of the stupid 'end ___' things people needed.

-Z

Whatt?? ActionScript 2.0??

Is this a different program that can stand alone without opening flash mx?
TheXploder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The_Triangle <- no, Actionscript is just the programming language used in Flash for Flash games.

TheZsterBunny <- I could give you some aid. Start with: http://www.geocities.com/thefastfiles/ - the only flash tutorial I actually went through...

Now there are more advanced ways of programming in flash, object oriented including special file types: .as

I would suggest to start object oriented programming right away, because now I regret that I didn't, and I have to rewrite my games to be object oriented.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> Flash MX Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: