Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 UC Sued Over Evolution Site
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:16 pm   Post subject: UC Sued Over Evolution Site

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051128-5638.html

I feel kind of bad for them, but when you think about it, it's kind of funny.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

LOL, i realy hope that suit gets throw out b/c it is redicuals. I mean what next sueing unis for making sites about gravity? I mean some peoleop out there blive that gravity is under the sole contoral of god. Or maybe sueing schools for saying that there are over 6000 years of documented humman existsan since that whould impley the erath is not 6000 years old.......
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Haha, I don't think anyone believes that gravity is directly under the control of god (any more than they believe that everything else is).

But yeah. It'll get rejected, I'm sure.
md

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Never know, this is the united states... If it doesn't get thrown out I'd yet more proof that there isn't any intelligent life in the states
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
Haha, I don't think anyone believes that gravity is directly under the control of god (any more than they believe that everything else is).

You mean you've never heard of Intelligent Falling? Wink
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

That is absolutly redicilous. Especially them being sued over not approving certain highschool courses as meeting academic standards.

I mean really - the guidelines are there. And in the case of the article, students want to be admited with knowledge of flawed (from guideline's perspective) material. Now it doesn't matter about which view is correct, because the University knows what it's going to teach. So now you have a bunch of students who are less than don't know any basic material for the course. Confused
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
brenn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:

Sad What if I believe that God created the laws of gravity anyway?
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:01 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Well there is a difrence between saying that you think god created the universes and the laws it is another to say that there are no laws and that god directly says what falls and what dose not. That whould immplel that the laws are all wrong and god sits there all day and pushes things down and it has nothing to do with mass.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:05 am   Post subject: (No subject)

brenn wrote:
Sad What if I believe that God created the laws of gravity anyway?

Well at least indirectly. Gravity comes with Universe Wink

The idea here (as oppose to Intelligent Falling) is that God is no exception to (perhaps his own) law.

Otherwise you know... all religios fanatics would float off the Earth, and into the space Laughing
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
codemage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Too bad that's not the case. The world would be a better place.

We could always send them off to colonize a new planet on ship "B."
The rest of us would naturally follow on ship "A."
Boo-chan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

True, I think I think I've heard rumours of a giant star cluster eating dog.... or something along that lines rapidly approaching earth. We had better save the most important elements of human society first. But remember keep the phone cleaning people Wink

Back on topic:
I may be simply biased here but I have always seen science as different then religion since a)it doesn't require belief(other than the fact that reality is as we perceive it b)it self verifies what it says and c)changes to match what is observed. Religions on the other hand are firmly based on belief.

The troubling thing about this is that if per chance this lawsuit is sucessful it will naturally lead to not being able to use public funds to fund what is deemed "religious research". Universities rely on public funds and are one of the main source of scientific research. So this could potentially lead to censorship of what can and can not be researched Confused In which case, I would suspect that a lot of the scientists would just go somewhere else where they have more intelectual freedom(such as some already do for stuff like stem cell research)

However, from the other viewpoint these people do have bit of a point. Once you have accepted the fact that science/evolution is a religion then it does make a bit of sense. I don't think it would be appropriate to use public funds to make websites promoting Creationism or Intelligent Design for that matter.

Its rather interesting that science is being increasingly portrayed as a religion by other religions. Because if science is a religion, then what it says is no more valid than any other religion. Then the argument that people should be taught all viewpoints comes into play and ...
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Boo-chan wrote:
Then the argument that people should be taught all viewpoints comes into play and ...

there are so many view points and so little time. Evolution, Creationism, Flying Spagetti Monster, are just a few of the more popular ideas.

Perhaps we should just move.. Australia seems attractive at the moment.

It is far enough from America
It is under the British Crown
It allows stem cell research
The government endorses evolution
Warm weather, ocean and penguins.
Paul

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yes, go to Australia, I've lived there for a year.
If you wanna go to University there, I suggest University Of New South Wales, its pretty good, the campus is nice too.
The weather in winter in Sidney doesn't go below 10 degrees celcius, although it rains more in winter. I've been wanting to go back forever T_T

They seem pretty lazy though, every pay day, all the bars fill up, people go and spend their money on drinks. There's always people lazing on their lawns, its so much more beautiful and clean there too. Plus you're so close to the ocean Very Happy
md

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

codemage wrote:

This happened in the hitch hickers guide (kinda); however it ended badly for those that remained behind (killed off by a nasty phone virus). I think so long as we only send the religious nuts it could work though...

I don't see how you can even sue a private university for saying that certain courses do not meet their entry requirements; it's a private institution! There are no laws saying they _must_ accept sub standard students. The whole thing smacks of stupidity... unfortunately there is no law against that either.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:
codemage wrote:

This happened in the hitch hickers guide (kinda); however it ended badly for those that remained behind (killed off by a nasty phone virus).

though
Boo-chan wrote:

But remember keep the phone cleaning people

Boo-chan clearly wins in the race to reference HHGTTG
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 16 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: