Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 We need your help. Help make DWITE better with Turing!
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:45 pm   Post subject: We need your help. Help make DWITE better with Turing!

Note: This is a direct Email by Mr Will Sentjens, given to all those have participated in DWITE November 2005 and used Turing:

Quote:
Hello Turing Users

I am emailing you because you have registered your team with Turing as your programming language. Turing results are generally poor. 18 out of 68 submissions received points in the November contest.

The problem is that the DWITE judge uses an old Turing DOS Compiler (which clearly does not have the features of the most recent Turing compiler). When the judge tries to compile a submission with tcomp.exe (which is an old Turing DOS compiler) it recieves error messages and will not create an .exe.

I'm most certain that the code would work if I could use a more recent version of the Turing compiler.

Turing presents a problem. On the Sample Solutions page, it is not recommended.

I have tried to contact Holt Software to get a more recent version of the Turing compiler, but I never get a reply from them.

If someone out there can figure out how to compile a Turing program using WINOOT, from the command line, I may be able to implement it with the DWITE judging system.

The problem that I have is that I am unable to compile a Turing file from the DOS command line. I have tried to figure this out but I can't. I can compile a Turing file from within the WINOOT IDE (Run - Generate Stand Alone Program), but I need to know how to do it from the DOS command line and then I could program this into the DWITE judge.

Your assistance with this would be appreciated or I may not make Turing available in the future.

Thank you

Will Sentjens

Please, if someone can figure out how to compile a Turing file using DOS Command Line, please do help. Otherwise its a whole new language for ~ 70 people. Dam those Holtsoft people for not helping him Mad
Thanks a lot again. Please post a valid solution if you have any and I will contact him ASAP. Wink
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:16 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If you open up your Turing.exe with a text editor, it's like a really cheap decompiler that lets you see some unencoded strings. First one being
turing.exe wrote:

This program cannot be run in DOS mode.

WinOOT has a very limited number of commandline arguments. Besides -log, -writepref and -?, there are also -admin (documented in release notes) and -testsuite.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
xXInsanityXx

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 7:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If they decide to ban turing im screwed... not only me my whole team Sad
no one on my team knows to code in any other language (if html is excluded that is)... so i guess its back to the drawing board for me... *Hint: Welcome Java!!!* i need to increase my depth of turing syntax, and programming logic by then... till then ill cross my finger and hope that the judge permits turing till the end of this season...
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I whould realy like to see some one code a DWITE contest in sole HTML and get any points.

As for the turing problem, the best idea i whould have whould be for some one to remake turing and make it open sorce. This could probley get you sued by holth tho i am not shure of the law on that. Or make some kind of complier the cahges new turing code to old turing code.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:16 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Just make something syntatically exact to Turing from scratch, I don't think that would get anyone sued. The conversion isn't a bad idea either...

You could do anything in JavaScript, though, although you can't compile it Smile.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:27 am   Post subject: (No subject)

well there's always an option of getting a hold of that older compiler, figuring out exactly what the differences are, and play by older rules.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:

You could do anything in JavaScript, though, although you can't compile it Smile.

JavaScript is as much html as php is. Witch is not at all. I just hate it when peoleop call html progaming.......
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hey, HTML is as much programming as writing out answers on a piece of paper. Oh wait.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

xXInsanityXx wrote:
If they decide to ban turing im screwed... not only me my whole team Sad

No, then you just have to learn something new.

Getting comfortable in the world of programming is a bad, bad idea.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
JavaScript is as much html as php is. Witch is not at all. I just hate it when peoleop call html progaming.......

I realize that, and I didn't say it was. You said that you couldn't write the contest using HTML, I said you could write it using JavaScript. I merely related the fact that they are both almost always enabled by default, so usually where you can use HTML you can use JavaScript.
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: