Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What do you Perfer Windows or Linux
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
paulkwatyra

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:40 am   Post subject: What do you Perfer Windows or Linux

Hey i want to upgrade my system and wanted to know who perfers windows or linux>?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I love the power of linux, but at teh same time I also like to play games occasionally and that usually requires windows. Right now I've got linux only and I'm pretty happy, although I'm probably going to install vmware and win2k for some games (or cedega, not sure yet)
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Windows hands down. Linux is junk.

and if this degrades into another OS flamewar, I'm locking the thread
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

actually windows (xp pro) is faster than ehm linux... (but it's simply not just as stable)
codemage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Win XP PRO is really quite stable. The arguments of other systems against the earlier Win O/Ss (95,98,and Me -shudder-) are still there, but not nearly as much anymore.

Have you used linux before? Try it out before you switch, if you can.
md

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The only thing I'm disliking about running linux right now is that the ATI drivers such so much for dual monitors... all I want is hardware accelerated 3d, but noo, what I get is hardware accelerated 3d on the first 2048 pixels then no 3d at all! This really only affects you if you use two monitors or a really really big resolution on your monitor (speaking of which, saw a 30" apple cinema display yesterday, my god it's huge) and certain video drivers, only in certain X setups too.
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

codemage wrote:
Win XP PRO is really quite stable.
Depends on how you define stable i guess.. But by being unstable i did not mean it crashes often.. All I meant is that it drops down in performance over a period of time. (you basically have to continuously maintain it to keep it at an acceptable state)

Linux on the other hand will perform the same as it was from the point of installation, for a long (very long) period of time. Same is true for any *nix (including osx). And there's very little maintenance required to keep it at that optimal state.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I prefer Windows XP Professional. I like Linux better, though. FreeBSD is my OS of choice.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
codemage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

In that case, I wholeheartedly agree.

XP Pro is atrocious if left to its own designs, but 30 minutes of maintenance every month or so keeps it in pretty good shape.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 4:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
codemage wrote:
Win XP PRO is really quite stable.
Depends on how you define stable i guess.. But by being unstable i did not mean it crashes often.. All I meant is that it drops down in performance over a period of time. (you basically have to continuously maintain it to keep it at an acceptable state)

Linux on the other hand will perform the same as it was from the point of installation, for a long (very long) period of time. Same is true for any *nix (including osx). And there's very little maintenance required to keep it at that optimal state.

As well, many *nix OSes automatically perform what maintenance is required. For example: Mac OS X, which automatically defragments < 20MB files.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Definitely linux. All I ever use Windows for is gaming.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I only use Windows for certain apps that simply don't exist (well enough) for Linux. For everything else, I have my Gentoo Linux install Smile
md

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Huzzah! Someone else running gentoo!
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Remember getting Gentoo onto my ex-laptop? Fun times. Man, for as much fun as Japan is, I'm really starting to miss Waterloo.
goomba

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Gentoo FTW! But honestly, there's no reason to "switch." Just get a large hard drive and dualboot. Hooray for choice.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: