Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Linux for PowerPC.
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:04 am   Post subject: Linux for PowerPC.

I know it exists, but does anyone have any experience with it? Is it painful setting up a dual-boot between it and OSX? Also, is there any (preferably Debian based) distro that stands out on the architecture?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:43 am   Post subject: (No subject)

There's Ubuntu for PPC, which should be pretty good, though I have no direct experience with it.
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

me either... but try YDL?
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

YellowDog used to be the best choice, but the feature list is really outdated, and it's based on Fedora, and Martin did specify a preference for something Debian-based.

Speaking of which, there's always Debian itself. Smile
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Haha, yeah, I know.

I was more wondering if there was a distro that specialized in the PowerPC. I think I'm going to go with Ubuntu, I like that one a lot.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 6:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
I was more wondering if there was a distro that specialized in the PowerPC.

Yeah, the "Yellow Dog Linux" distro that rizzix mentioned is *specifically* targetted at the PowerPC, but that doesn't neccesarily mean its the best, and its not Debian-based. Linux installs are short, why not try both first before choosing a definite answer? Smile
goomba

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ubuntu PPC is great and easy to set up, but just be aware that if you use wifi, you're screwed because there is no Linux support for the Airport Extreme card. (Broadcom chip, but ndiswrapper is of course x86-only.)
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: