Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 World Community Grid -- Join the Humanitarian Effort!
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

codemage wrote:
Didn't really think of that.

Most companies that ship out distributed projects use heavy encryption so the end users can't tamper with the data. (I think that started with SETI, and people trying to hack / tamper with the packets they were getting).

If a system were ideally programmed, the university wouldn't actually have access to any sensitive decrypted data. If the encryption scheme was changed frequently enough (with small core auto updates), you could still have a very secure system... I think.

Logic holds very little sway with the typical CEO. They just want someone to blame who isn't themself. A university would be the perfect target.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

First result in for me after 11.5 hours. I now have the highest points per hour from anyone on the compsci team Wink.

If you wanted to set this up on a school network, I would think you have to go to the school board, not only the network administrator..?
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
First result in for me after 11.5 hours. I now have the highest points per hour from anyone on the compsci team Wink.

My result took over twelve hours, though. Ah, it takes too long for me to download these things.

[Gandalf] wrote:
If you wanted to set this up on a school network, I would think you have to go to the school board, not only the network administrator..?

Time will tell. Smile
md

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I know waterloo doesn't have much unused computer time; there are many projects which profs run which take lots and lots of computer time.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:18 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Tony wrote:
World Community Grid Participation Contest

Here's the deal.

At the end of this month (November), you will recieve 100 bits + 1/5 of your WCG points in bits

So here are the stats:
WCG wrote:

Member Name -|-- Joined-Retired ---|--- Total Run Time ---|- Points Generated -|- Results -|- Bits

oniTony --------|---- 11/23/2005 ----|---- 0:009:00:36:56 ----|--- 5,776 ---|---- 31 ------|- 1,255
Hacker Dan ----|---- 11/24/2005 ----|---- 0:007:20:22:09 ----|--- 4,847 ---|---- 15 ------|- 1,069
Hikaru79 -------|---- 11/25/2005 ----|---- 0:004:22:22:26 ----|--- 3,196 ---|---- 8 -------|- 739
Richard Drake -|---- 11/25/2005 ----|---- 0:005:18:37:43 ----|--- 2,700 ---|---- 12 ------|- 640
timmytheturtle -|---- 11/26/2005 ----|---- 0:005:16:40:23 ----|--- 2,415 ---|---- 15 ------|- 583
beard0 ----------|---- 11/25/2005 ----|---- 0:002:13:25:41 ----|--- 1,102 ---|---- 2 -------|- 320
[Gandalf] -------|---- 11/26/2005 ----|---- 0:000:15:05:50 ----|---- 410 ----|---- 2 -------|- 182
Cervantes ------|---- 11/23/2005 ----|---- 0:000:12:05:04 ----|---- 293 ----|---- 1 -------|- 158
Naveg ----------|---- 11/23/2005 ----|---- 0:000:05:54:44 ----|---- 151 ----|---- 1 --------|- 130

go me

and who's Richard Drake?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Woot 1,069 bits!!! Now i can fianly buy a new e-mail at compsci.ca i allways i whonted to!

Sersaly tho i whould have beat you tony if i had more time and it was not runing on a laptop that is down most of the time Twisted Evil

Good Job every one! I whould like to do this over decemeber as well but try to get more peoleop form compsci.ca joining in!
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

LOL, sorry for the double post but if you look at my stats as of 12:00 midnight last night my points updated to 6,816. they just where not updated to the team stats yet Twisted Evil
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

woot! bits. Damn slow computers processing stuff to slow. I could have gotten more bits if I got more points per results.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

w00t w00t! Highest non-admin score Very Happy

Par-tay at my house Dance
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Er, I'm running this on a 550 Mhz... how long do you guys think it will move from 0% to 1%? Razz I mean... its been running for 10 minutes
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well I average 1 result per 7 hours on a 2.8Ghz, P4 machine.

I think Folding@Home project is less process intensive. Ether way, they could balance the loads, and give your computer smaller tasks Confused
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Wow, I meet the minimum requirements for the AIDS project, but how would I switch to the other?
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

you go to your projects settings https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/ms/viewMyProjects.do and select what you want to participate in
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:36 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If you slected both projects you have a 50/50 chance of geting one or the other. I blive you are right about the floding being less intesneive but i also blive it gives you less points. You can also edit your device profiles to chage the size of workloads you get. The bigger the work load the more points, but the longer it will take to complet. If you have a realy good comp that is on all the time i whould sugested cahging the work load to 5gb~6gb other wise for smaler ones it maybe better to take smaller work loads. Also the software dected information about you computer and adguests the workload sizes and other factors based on your computers stats. One thing about laptops tho is the software will turn off if it thinks the computer is unpluge witch can mess things upsome times. Tho it is probly not the best idea to put it on a laptop b/c it realy dose increas the heat quite a bit and suck away power.
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

High or low, I'm stuck with this one until its 100% done Sad
Anyhow, I didn't notice it download any large files :S my folder is 30 megs still, yet it says main task in progress.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 4 of 8  [ 106 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: