Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Microsoft's New Word: Accountability
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:48 pm   Post subject: Microsoft's New Word: Accountability

Interesting read.

http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2005/tc20051118_179356.htm?campaign_id=rss_tech

Apparently Vista is shipping next August. Cool.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The article points out something that could be a real problem for Microsoft.

They lack ultimate control over the distribution of the key piece of their monopoly. The best they can do is ship it to a vendor like Gateway, HP, or Dell and hope it gets installed on machines that will actually sell well. They can try to bribe those vendors under the table, but ultimately, if the vendors decide it just isn't worth their while, the launch of a key product for Microsoft can be rolled back by months.

I don't mean to be an Apple fanboy here, but they're just the best and possibly only counterexample. Steve Jobs can get up on stage and say, "here's out new software, and by tomorrow it'll be on every new Mac, including on display at all of our retail stores."

I've often speculated that Microsoft's Xbox is just their way of testing the waters in terms of jumping headlong into the hardware fray and claiming a bit more control. If Microsoft were to jump in with PCs attractively priced, running their latest software, they could pressure other vendors to follow suit.

Of course, the danger there is that triggering competition would mean they'd have to compete in a market with razor thin margins. They'd also be gambling a bit. Their current "partners" could see that as stabbing them in the back and cozy up with one of Microsoft's rivals.
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think as far as the hardware thing goes we'll see more with the new Xbox (releases tomorrow in North America, I believe). Microsoft is definitely at the front of the home entertainment hub (with Windows Media Center and the new Xbox 360 front end), so they could also be leading towards something in that regards.

Times are a changin'.
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I dunno how the new operating system is, I barely know how XP is. I've never had a legitimate copy of windows, so I wouldn't know. But apparently there's this "register your software online before you can use it any further" thing on the new copies of XP. Do they actually think that they can get people into spending 150$ extra for installation on their other computer? They so caressy.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:30 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm pretty sure that you can install XP on a few PC's without trouble on a single license. I had the same (legit) copy on my laptop and my desktop without any problem.
md

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I think the basic lincense was updaed to 5 computers after people complained but I can't be sure... I've only ever used developer versions with unlimited activations Very Happy
codemage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 10:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I think they're going after corporations much more than they're trying to hit the individual users.
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Of course, Microsoft's business model has always been to let individual users get away with piracy in order to promote the image of Windows' ubiquity, then use that ubiquity to extort huge amounts of money from corporations that don't think they can afford to get sued.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The real problem is that you can't stop individual piracy without having huge PR problems. Do you think Apple would sue someone for pirating a copy of Tiger? Of course not.

Look at how much everyone loves the RIAA/MPAA. Their idea was fine (help artists make money) but when they started suing 12 year old girls they ran into problems.

But in any case, individual piracy isn't a problem and never will be a problem.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: