Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 University Applications 2005-2006
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:58 pm   Post subject: University Applications 2005-2006

I just received my OUAC pin number and am ready for application-ing. I'm sure quite a few others on this site are in the same position or will be soon. This thread is for any tips or good advice anyone with experience or knowledge can give to us n00bs. Thanks Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

My first question is: what kind of programs are computer engineering, systems design engineering, and mechatronics engineering? The website does not really give you much past a description, and I feel that a personal experience/opinion would weigh alot more.

I'm thinking of applying to 1 engineering program at UW, and I'm thinking one of these 3. I'm just not sure which one is suitable.

And also if anyone knows/goes to UofT, would know any good programs there in the science/math/business field.
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the way UW Engineering applications work, is that you apply to them all, listing them in order of preference. So you can apply to all 3 programs, and they'll take up one of your OUAC applications.

What are you looking for in a program? If we know that, it would be easier to distinguish between the different options.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Really? is that available on the OUAC website?

Well, I'm not into heavy math, especially not discrete. But I like math to a certain degree. For example, right now in chemistry, we're doing quantum numbers and such, at the point where there is no math involved. I'm not GROK'ing it, but as soon as they put some math in, I felt SO much better. Anything with math involved, I can grasp it better. I'm also interested in sciences and technology, almost any kind, but I prefer computers the most. Business is also one of my interests, outside of the engineering programs I'm applying for compsci and BMA Double Degree, which I will go to if I get in. Systems Design engineering is appealing in that manner as it is a "multi-diciplinary" program.

Also if anyone has any experience with UW software engineering, it says this:
Quote:

Experience in developing well-structured, modular programs is required, as demonstrated by at least one of the following: strong performance in a programming course such as Grade 11 or 12 Computer and Information Science or equivalent, strong performance in a programming contest, significant work experience, other (must be explained on the Admission Information Form).

To what degree is "well-structured, modular programs" and "strong performance"?

As well as most programs require a teacher reference letter, how does that work?
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Engineering is heavy in Calculus, not so much of other Maths.

Mechatronics covers a lot of science and technology. Various Physics (Statics / Dynamics), Chemistry (basics, Structure of Materials), Electrical Circuits, programming in various languages. And that's just in first year Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well what I fear is that I would go into computer engineering expected to know all sorts of algorithms and possess uber programming skills, I also heard its quite hard. From what you tell me of mechatronics, it sounds very appealing, but I'm not very good with my hands. I always sucked with lego and stuff like that.

Also, teacher reference letter, I dont' quite get that?
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't think anyone would expect you to be an uber leet programmer. It is estimated that 30% of Mechatronics students have not had previous programming experience. That's ok, everybody catches up after the first year.

About being hands on -- well Engineers just design and tell others how to build those designs. Keep in mind that the 4th year design projects (as well as others) are done in groups. You don't need to be hands on with a drill press if you're better utilized as a programmer for the team.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Tony wrote:
the way UW Engineering applications work, is that you apply to them all, listing them in order of preference. So you can apply to all 3 programs, and they'll take up one of your OUAC applications.

Exclamation
Sweet! In that case, I've just saved some money.

Dammit Tony, a few minutes ago I was fairly unenthusiastic about Mechatronics. Every time I hear you speak about it, I want to go into it.

What do you think are the job prospects for a mechatronics engineer? Are there sophisticated jobs that you'd be qualified for? Would you need graduate studies to get such high end jobs? My Dad is rather pessimisic about it, saying that it might lead to more of a technician type job.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cervantes wrote:
My Dad is rather pessimisic about it, saying that it might lead to more of a technician type job.

The bottom line is that it depends on what type of a person you are.

That being said, personally I'm under the impression that Mechatronics is a kickstart into a management/leading role in your field of choice. The thing is -- we're dealing with systems and many aspects of it. From the choice of materials, to electrical circuits, to programming the OS, to the internal structures of the motors used. There isn't a better background to take on a leading role in a development of new technology.

On top, we get to take courses such as Management Science, and electives from Economics. There's enough room to sneak an option into your degree. Biomechanics and Management seem to be two of more popular ones.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Mmm... mathematics option. Smile

Right now, I don't think I want to do the business / management type thing.

Let's just say I wanted to do work for NASA on the Mars rovers. Do you think Mechatronics is the best way there? Or some other field?
Paul

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

My most preferable program is Business Admin/Math DD.
you can find more info about working at nasa:
http://www.nasa.gov/about/career/
codemage

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Most first year programs don't bash you over the head with material, so don't worry about being out of your league in any subject.

Typically you get some elective room in your first year as well, so that's the best time to figure out which options you like and don't like.

For instance, I loved math in highschool, so I thought I'd do a major in CompSci and minor in Math. When I got to Uni, I didn't like math any more (possibly brought on by a sequence of awful profs), so I did a straight up CS degree instead.

Plan ahead, but leave your options open.
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 2:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cervantes wrote:
Let's just say I wanted to do work for NASA on the Mars rovers. Do you think Mechatronics is the best way there?

I'd have to say that Mechatronics certanly an exceptional degree to get into such a project.

The bottom line is that due to limited communication, the rover has to be mostly autonomous. And as you probably know that's the core idea of Mechatronics Engineering -- autonomous systems.

Though there's more! You'll have some knowledge of Chemistry, Materials, Physics, Circuits, Mechanics, Systems, Programming.

Now I'll be honest -- I don't know if you'll be offered a lead project manager for the rover on graduation. What you should keep in mind though is that if you were to say get to work on the chassis of the rover, you would be in a position to better communicate with Mechanical and Electrical and various other Engineers for different components. I would imagine that you'd go to more meetings as you would have a better ability to connect your work, to those of other fields. Who knows, maybe you'll be promoted to the project assistant. And then when the lead guy disappears Twisted Evil
Paul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Does tony get referal bonuses? Laughing
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Applied math is where it's at guys.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 33 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: