Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 MatchMaker
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Viper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:54 am   Post subject: MatchMaker

i need to make a match maker program but i have no idea how iam going to do it, it will be done by people filling out a form then the program will see who matched who best. any help will be nice plz n thx Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
beard0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:32 am   Post subject: (No subject)

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAH

Do you really expect poeple to just write it for you? At 174 posts, you've been around here long enough to know better than to ask for help without posting code.
codemage

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:53 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Figure out what criteria you can match people by.

Perhaps by zodiac sign, and then a proximity match by age.
Viper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

im not looking for code im looking for suggestions
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Food!! Religion could be a criteria.

Btw: Shouldnt this be off-topic thread?
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 11:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I'd say use an flexible array of records. For every person who takes the survey, you put their information into a record in the specific element of the array.
E.g.
person(1).name = "Paul"
person(1).FavColor = "Blue"

Then you can build your own query procedure which will search through the records for a specific name, then match all the fields, y'know something with a counter. Then output the most suitable person.

Also I think a person(n).sex is important too Razz
person

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
Also I think a person(n).sex is important too

more like :

person(n). sexual preference is important too
beard0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

person wrote:
Quote:
Also I think a person(n).sex is important too

more like :

person(n). sexual preference is important too

Thank you person! I was the equity representative at my school, and tried to make the rest of the student council see how exclusive of gays the matchmakers were, but nobody would listen. I was hugely disapointed in our staff advisor, who I felt should have steped in, but must have been too homophobic herself to do so.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

sexual preference and sex are not mutually exclusive... you need to know what gender people are Wink
beard0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 9:43 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Cornflake wrote:
sexual preference and sex are not mutually exclusive... you need to know what gender people are ;)

True. It was, however, more important that sexual preference be stated explicitly as being necessary.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

MatchMaking website serves as good practice for learning how to talk with women if you're a newb at that sort of thing. Other than that, I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket (both literal and metaphorical).
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:
MatchMaking website serves as good practice for learning how to talk with women if you're a newb at that sort of thing. Other than that, I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket (both literal and metaphorical).

Some times you just outright srace me temp.......oh ya i have to get around to chaing your username and such over. I have just been overwellmed with school.

And talking to women? how whould that be difrent then talking to any one eltes? I mean unless you are not being your self there realy is not diffrence....
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'd use a point system, and then rate choices by their proximity.

Like, for an abstract example, let's say that the section was hair colour (just for an example). Choices are:

1. Brown
2. Black
3. Blonde
4. Red
5. Gray

Give 5 points for people with matching hair, 3 points for people whose colour is within 1 of it (so for a red head give 3 points if the matchee has gray or blonde hair). And so on.
beard0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Have a question like Martin's, but then ask for a preference for the matching. (Remember to have a "no preference" option.)
codemage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Maybe get them to rank what is important (from 1 to 5, etc), and then have the match score reflect that value.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: