Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 PSU's
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Blade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:22 am   Post subject: PSU's

alright, this is starting to get on my nerves a little bit.

at first i had for a system
athlon xp-m 2500+ oc'd to 2.0 ghz (not much but it was alright)
512mb generic pc3200
wd 160gb ata 133 7200rpm
lg 4x dvd-ram drive
original ati radeon 9800pro agp 8x
abit nf7 nf2 ultra rev2
and... an okia 450w psu

now as i was in the middle of upgrading my psu died, so i ended up with
athlon 64 3200+ venice s939
1gb dual channel ocz pc 3200 el edition (2-3-2-6)
wd 160gb ata 133 72004pm
lg 4x dvd-ram drive
xfx geforce 6800 agp 8x (bout 2 months before upgrade had to replace vidcard so got stuck with agp)
asus a8v deluxe
and... an enermax noisetaker 420w pci-e sli ready psu

now, i went out and left muh comp on, came back. its off, the mobo led wont come on, threw the psu into another comp, tried to start it up and it wouldnt work, but the other psu will work in my comp (not well, not powerful enough)... so i'm thinking WTH?! what happened to my psu? if its sli ready then it's obviously designed for high-end systems with 2 sli graphics cards, and obviously for socket 939 because thats all sli works on. the computer i'm writing this on is on the other side of the living room from where mine is. that enermax i got about a week before this happened, so it hasnt even had enough time to collect some dust to clean.

any ideas?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
codemage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:42 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Are you sure 420W is enough?
Retailers are notorious for understating the wattage necessary for sytems.

A safe rule is: find an online wattage calculator and multiply the power needs by 135% to find a reliable number.
Blade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

after i fill out this one, it says my minimum is 249w

then this one here says that i'd need 250w at 100% utilization (so minimum i'm guessing) ... either way, for my system i dont need much..

all i have plugged into my psu is: my 12pin mobo connector, 12v 4pin mobo connector, 1 160gb 7200rpm hdd, dvd-ram drive and geforce 6800.. i havent replaced my 2 case fans yet, and it was running really cool without it anyways, stressed the cpu only hit 35-40 celcius, i was using cool'n'quiet.
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

so the psu wouldnt work for any computer? may be you got a faulty psu, just get it replaced. i've had alot of psus give up on me.. never had a new one not working tho
Blade

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well, the psu arrived on the 10th (bout a week ago). i had it in that comp since then. i came home one night and pulled my keyboard drawer out, i noticed my mouse wasnt on (it stays on even when comps shut off). so i flicked the power switch and still nothin. theres a green led on my mobo that just wouldnt turn on. so i switched power cables with my monitor since my monitor worked. still nothin. pulled my psu out and tried it in my spare comp that i know works for sure. still nothin. so i tried that other psu in mine and the led came on.. so thats how i figure its the psu.
codemage

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sounds like it's could be faulty, or at least grossly underperforming.
Blade

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well i monitored my voltages really closely because my okia was really poopin out before and i wanted to see how well this one would perform. my okia's 12v connector would fluctuate between 11.1 and 11.9v. this one stayed steady at 12.1 and ddint really fluctuate at all. i'm guessing it was just faulty. at first it thought it may have been a surge, but nothing else is broken here, such as this computer i'm using now.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: