Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 firewall help?
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
AnubisProgrammer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:03 pm   Post subject: firewall help?

I have a linksys BEFSR41v4 router that allows my two computers to be online. Everything was good, my download speeds were about 100-150kb/s. I had a prob with the router, unplugged it for a bit, plugged it back in, my internet worked again. However I tihnk it reset some defaults because my download speeds have dropped to about 15kb/s and I frequently lose the connection to wherever I'm downloading from. I'm not sure if it put a firewall up or what, but even after messing with my router settings, and the network properties I can't get rid of the damn thing. Any ideas?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Notoroge

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Did you try power-cycling the router and the modem? I work at an internet tech-support call center, so I pretty much deal with this on a regular basis (in fact, I have a customer on the line right now that I'm getting to power-cycle a router/modem aswell)

Just do this,

1. Turn PC off,
  2. Unplug router/modem from power,
  3. Leave it there for roughly a minute,
  4. Turn modem on and wait for lights to stabalize,
  5. Turn router on and wait for lights to stabalize,
  6. Turn PC on and try again.

If that fails, try restoring the router back to factory settings. The web-interface for the router should have an option to do so over the web-browser, if not, try pressing and holding the "reset" button on the back of the router for a couple seconds, and then doing the same steps I mentioned on the list above.

If none of those steps fixes your issue, try connect a computer directly to the modem to see if the issue lies in the router. If you still get slow speeds, call your ISP's help-desk. They'll do some other useless stuff, and send you to a "higher level of support", where they'll most-likely change some account settings to give your modem access to higher-speeds, or get you a new one. If you do get faster speeds when directly connecting the modem to the PC, call the router, call linksys' tech-support, they'll probably get you to try tweaking some of the settings and/or might get you a new one if they can't get it fixed.
AnubisProgrammer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

thanks a lot, I'll try those and see what happens. Once again, thanks
AnubisProgrammer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright, so it didn't work. I eventually cut out the router and went right from the modem to my computer and my dl speeds till dropped. I'm calling my ISP, I think they might be having problems, a friend of mine using the same ISP is having roughly the same problems. Well, thanks for your help.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: