Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Apple's Mighty Mouse
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:30 am   Post subject: Apple's Mighty Mouse

Okay, so I've had the chance to play around with this for a while and I have a question - what the heck were they thinking?

First, Apple sells this for $65.00 Canadian. For around this price, you can get a MS Laser mouse ($69.99), or a Logitech MX510 ($59.99).

My complaints.
1. Yes, it looks cool. But it's about as unergonomic as they come.
2. Left and right clicking. Here we go. You can't left and right click at the same time. What's more, you have to completely lift your left/right finger off of the mouse before you can right/left click with the other one. Now, that's not just stopping clicking. Your finger actually has to leave the mouse.
3. The scroll wheel is slick, but it scrolls way too quickly. As far as I can tell, you can't turn this down.
4. The side buttons are too easy to accidently click. They can be disabled though.
5. Too hard to click. Maybe just a personal preference thing though.
6. Very noisy to click. It sounds like you're popping the side of a plastic pop bottle in and out.

So yeah. This mouse wouldn't be a good deal even if it was $10. It comes with the iMac, but I'm definitely investing in a third-party one (probably the Logitech).
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:37 am   Post subject: (No subject)

USB Overdrive is your friend.
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Would that fix the left/right clicking problem though? That's my biggest beef with it.
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't think so.

On the other hand, it can't hurt.
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

That's true. I do get the mouse for free (well, sort of I guess) with the iMac anyway.

I'm really worried about the keyboard though. Japanese keyboards have a slightly different layout (the @ symbol is nowhere to be found, instead shift+2 gives you "). And I don't know where I can find an english one...
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Just out of curiousity, what are you typing on now? You left your laptop at home, didn't you?
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:40 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh, another note: not sure about the might mouse, but the current non-mighty mouse design has typically always had a small dial you can use to adjust the click pressure.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:44 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Work computer. Shh...

The time difference is 14 hours I believe (it's 4pm Thursday here, 2am there).
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Coutsos wrote:
Just out of curiousity, what are you typing on now? You left your laptop at home, didn't you?

From what I last saw of martin's laptop I don't think it qualifies as a computer any more...
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: