Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Im feeling lucky!
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jamonathin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:47 pm   Post subject: Im feeling lucky!

Hey, everyone go too google.ca, type in "failure" and hit I'm Feeling Lucky" . . . Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Or "google bomb" and "I'm Feeling Lucky" Very Happy
jamonathin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 8:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Or even "french victories" . . Razz
timmytheturtle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:21 am   Post subject: (No subject)

jamonathin wrote:
Or even "french victories" . . Razz

That one doesn't seem to work anymore. Google used to suggest "did you mean french war losses". But the first link in "french victories" brings up there list of losses
Mr. T

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:48 am   Post subject: Alex's Opinion

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/text/victories.html Confused
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You're supposed to search french military victories.
Mr. T

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:10 pm   Post subject: Alex's Opinion

No, actually "French Victories" works fine, too.
codemage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You'll find the same figure within the top 10 hits, not just for "failure", but also:

moron
idiot
biggot
warmonger
war criminal
fascist
"tax raising special interest slot machine"

Remember though, page rankings are linked with search popularity, and aren't in any way representitve as a weight of truth.

...not to say that's never the case, though. Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
beard0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:49 am   Post subject: (No subject)

What makes "failure" so much better is that it's actually his page, not a page someone else has made about him... well, not a page that someone who doesn't work for him has made about him.
Boo-chan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:26 am   Post subject: (No subject)

While, things like this are rather interesting, depending on your viewpoint I guess, it is rather disturbing. The internet is still relatively free, in that most people can put anything they want on it as long as they don't live in certain countries. However, as the internet increases in size search engines begin to be the only way to find certain information. Hence, you no longer need to prevent information you do not agree with to be posted on the internet, you just have to flood the net with disinformation so any relevant results of a search will be lost in pages of chaff.
beard0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Who says that George Bush is a failure is misinformation? Here is a letter that I wrote in response to an item in the googleblog:

I wrote:
Why do you automatically assume that the relationship between George Bush and the word "failure" is the work of pranksters? I'm sure that
you would find many people in the world who would agree that George Bush is a miserable failure as president, and that it is quite legitimate that he show up as the number one Google result for this search. I, for one, subscribe to this belief, and believe that the reason that George Bush appears at the top of the list is not because a small group of determined people agree with me, but because the majority of people in the world agree that George Bush is the biggest failure to ever take on the office of president.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:14 am   Post subject: (No subject)

what Boo-chan means is that if I for example disagree with the "theory" of creationism, I could start spamming the web, explaining evolution with
<!--
creationism keywords in the comments
-->
and get my blogger buddies to link to a bunch of such articles to generate massive rankings in search engine results under essensially opposite keywords.

This is all fun and games, but what if there's a technology aware religious fanatic trying to swing the information noise of the internet the other way?

This of course is applicable to any subject matter.
codemage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:17 am   Post subject: (No subject)

As of 2 days ago, his approval rating was 37% in the US and still falling. It's about 10% globally.

That's not nearly the lowest ever though. Others with lower or equal low points:

Harry Truman (23%)
Richard Nixon (24%)
Jimmy Carter (28%)
George Bush Sr. (29%)
Lyndon Johnson (35%)
Ronald Reagan (35%)
Gerald Ford (37%)
Bill Clinton (37%)
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thx to guys at somethingawful, a google search result for ebaums world brings up www.ebaumsworldsucks.com/ in 2nd place. Almost there Wink
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I aucatly have to agrea with Boo-chan on this one. This is wrong and i think google should do somthing about it. Infromation should not be basied like this is doing.

With that side lets google bomb to make compsci.ca #1 for somthing!!!
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 22 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: