Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Bug Test Request
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
beard0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:48 pm   Post subject: Bug Test Request

I have been working on and off for quite a while on a stock market game, in php. It is to be used by my mom in her highschool business class (she's a teacher). Before the students see it, it would be quite useful if I could get compsciers to give it a good testing, because who knows what the students will try to do. The game can be found here at present: http://matt.err404.net/stockmarket/index.php

Use the login & password: compsci

Thanks, and have fun (I hope).
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 1:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It would be useful if one's portfolio were summed up on the "home" page.
codemage

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cool! 8)

I like how it indexes with the actual market! That's an amazing piece of work for your mom's class.

1 bug spotted - I bought some "FM-T" and it's reporting value per share, but not the number of shares or total value.

Everything else seems to be working ok. It won't accept some stock codes; that's not too annoying, but it might be good if there was an error msg or some sort of explanation to make things cleaner for the user.
beard0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks for the FM-T: I've now fixed it so that if you don't input a quantity, it will not do that.

It will allow you to buy any stock provided that it's listed on globeinvestor. I meant to put the error messages in, forgot that I hadn't yet - try an illegal sale and you'll see what it looks like.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

would be nice to have a stock-symbol lookup/search on the game site, rather than having to look for the proper name externally.

Also some sord of confirmation that "yes, your stock was purchased successfully for a total of $cash_value"

And I think that the portfolio should track the price you bought the stock at, as a reference to current value.

For the sell-stock option, would be nice to know how much stock you actually have.. so just list

AAPL : 100 in the dropdown menu Wink

Oh, and it appears the you may only buy and sell in groups of 50 (why?), though when you try to buy 49, it doesn't give you an error, simply doesn't process.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Tony wrote:
And I think that the portfolio should track the price you bought the stock at, as a reference to current value.

For the sell-stock option, would be nice to know how much stock you actually have.. so just list

All I ask Smile. Then maybe add some more numbers, like % increase, etc.
beard0

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 4:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the : [Amount] in the drop down box especially.

Tony: You can buy in blocks of 50 only because in the real world you must purchase stocks in blocks. I'm not sure if it's 50, but it will be a trivial change to implement once my mom tells me what size block she wants for her students. I will also soon be implementing a log of transactions. As to giving the info up front, and not externally, that was my mom's call: she wants to force her students to familiarize themselves with the real world tools.

I'm open to more improvement suggestions, but would like to know: How hard have people tried to break the code, and make things screw up? I'm sure some jerk in my mom's class will try, and I rather that you guys point it out to me before the game goes live.
codemage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If you're looking for jerk-prone error catching, you can currently input string values for number of stocks to buy.

A cool thing to implement would be sorting the stocks in the portfolio.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
beard0

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:12 am   Post subject: (No subject)

codemage wrote:
...you can currently input string values for number of stocks to buy.

Thanks, fixed. Anything else? It's about to go to the classroom.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:30 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Looks good, I couldn't catch anything.
You could always do a "top investors" chart somewhere Smile.
MihaiG

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dunno...maybe worst investor chart......can u do insider trading? Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: