Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 How do I make an online game?
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Dibbie

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 3:53 pm   Post subject: How do I make an online game?

Hello, Im working on a game, and one issue I ran into, is making it online (I know you need computers for servers and stuff to do with DSL Connection) But is there any way to put my game online? If so, can someone please get me a step-by-step guide as to how to do this? Or some tutorials?

Thank you in advance.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
evildaddy911

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:32 pm   Post subject: RE:How do I make an online game?

what language is it in?
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 7:09 pm   Post subject: RE:How do I make an online game?

You need to narrow down what you mean by "online". There are a lot of options:

1) You want to make your game available for download. This one is pretty easy: just find a file hosting service and put your software installer there. The only real complication is that you have to test your installer on a few different systems to make sure it works right.

2) You want to make your game playable in a browser. This requires that you use a language that can be embedded in a browser, and that you find a site willing to host the game artefacts. This is probably pretty easy for Flash, but may be harder for Java, Silverlight or other web technologies. It's almost certainly trivial if you use HTML5/Canvas. Most other languages cannot perform this function.

3) You want to make your game multiplayer. This requires a good understanding of a lot of relatively difficult technology, including concurrency and networks. Although there exist tools to smooth over the rough bits, it's still a very involved task.

If you figure out which of those you want to do, you'll be more likely to get helpful advice.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: