Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Programming Tip of the Day
Index -> General Programming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Breaking from the Apple dscussion...

Ponder this statement for a bit: "Sure FP offers a way to solve the problem, but requires more education than more complex systems."

FP = Functional Programming

Does this kind of justification for "mainstream" OO languages even begin to make sense?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Did you try using something like Pathfinder, instead of Finder? Did you research alternatives to the Finder since you find it unpleasant?

I installed Linux Wink Now if only I could get my remote to work with it...

I do boot OSX sometimes, mostly to play UT2004. Kind of like my Windows usage of times long past...

I'll check out pathfinder when I get home.
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Linux is my hobby OS. No way can it replace OSX. Quality of apps avaible of OSX out beat those for Linux anyday. Gee.
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Breaking from the Apple dscussion...

Ponder this statement for a bit: "Sure FP offers a way to solve the problem, but requires more education than more complex systems."

FP = Functional Programming

Does this kind of justification for "mainstream" OO languages even begin to make sense?

No but I can give you another reason to avoid FP: It's much more difficult to debug code. If not your own code, then somebody else's. On the other hand most of these mainstream OO languages make debugging code super easy.

Yet its a hard choice. Consider..

FP: Most common bugs found in mainstream OO languages do not apply here. Some complex algorithms are better written in FP than in imperative languages. But debugging code could be difficult. Efficiency is also an issue at times.

Mainstream: Bugs are very easily introduced. But debugging is extremely simple (with an exception to some ugly languages, e.g. C++).
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I just find it very odd to say that more complex systems require less education. Methinks this thinking gave us the BSOD.
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think C and C++ should be banned! Safer alternatives should be used instead, as in Cyclone and D
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:37 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't see the quality of apps thing for OSX. iTunes is decent, but doesn't have ANY codec support. QuickTime player is slow and doesn't support full screen mode out of the box. Pages is junk to use (cheap though, I guess). OSX is great, sure, but as for software - nothing has blown me away so far.
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quicktime is the only player so far to succesfully play h264 coded video without any problems. None of the opensource alternatives can match it yet (both in terms of speed and stability). Techinically yea, you need quicktime pro to utilize some feature, but it's not entirly true. Apple's quicktime framework has support for all these features out-of-the-box and you don't have to pay a dime. Just search for a quicktime "clone" and you might get one that unlocks these feature for free.

iTunes does not have a large choice in audio formats, but what it has are the best: AAC, (the commonly used MP3). Either way you can have an app bloated with features, but it's poorly designed, and hence low in "quality". Most linux/opensouce apps fall under this category. They focus too much on functionality, they leave out design and stability.

I don't know about Pages. I should give it a try and evaluate it my self. But I do use M$ Office 2004, and it's pretty darn good. Maybe not the best designed app, but good enough to be considered a mac app.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rizzix wrote:
Quicktime is the only player so far to succesfully play h264 coded video without any problems. None of the opensource alternatives can match it yet (both in terms of speed and stability). Techinically yea, you need quicktime pro to utilize some feature, but it's not entirly true. Apple's quicktime framework has support for all these features out-of-the-box and you don't have to pay a dime. Just search for a quicktime "clone" and you might get one that unlocks these feature for free.

Like VLC or MPlayer, which aren't Mac specific apps.

rizzix wrote:
iTunes does not have a large choice in audio formats, but what it has are the best: AAC, (the commonly used MP3). Either way you can have an app bloated with features, but it's poorly designed, and hence low in "quality". Most linux/opensouce apps fall under this category. They focus too much on functionality, they leave out design and stability.

xmms is bloated? mpg123 is bloated? I've never used a media player that uses more memory than iTunes. Or on Windows, Foobar2000 I think takes the crown.

rizzix wrote:
I don't know about Pages. I should give it a try and evaluate it my self. But I do use M$ Office 2004, and it's pretty darn good. Maybe not the best designed app, but good enough to be considered a mac app.

If the definition of Mac app is 'good software,' well then yeah...

Here's what I don't get. OSX is great, but everyone preaches that it has all of this great software for it - where? iLife is nice, but there are free alternatives that are better. Sure it comes with a lot nicer a selection of software than a Windows box, but that's beside the point.
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Have you looked at VersionTracker?
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

VLC and MPlayer both have failed to play h264 encoded video properly. Well i've tried and it failed.

Besides, VLC is SLOW as hell. MPlayer isin't too bad, but it's gui interface is pathetic.

OK I wasn't just talking about music player when i mentions the apps were bloated. I was talling about most opensource apps in general.

Bah about Office2004 comment, most apps following the Apple human interface design specs usually are designed pretty well. M$ has tried their best.
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Your teachers, who have years more experience than you as a student, are ironically not there to answer your questions.

They are there to ask the questions, and it is your job to answer them. The purpose of their knowledge and experience is to make sure you ask the correct questions, and to be able to tell you if you're right or wrong.

Additionally, when you answer their questions, do not answer uncertainly. Answer with confidence. Be prepared to be wrong, of course, but have the confidence to back your answer up if challenged.

If you do not have this confidence, it likely means you have not done enough research, or you have not thoroughly experimented to determine whether your answer will stand up to testing.
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Solve the easy problems first. Use the experience you gain and the lessons learned to make the hard problems easier.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The measure of code expressiveness is not purely brevity.

All other things being equal, it's a good thing, but the true measure of expressiveness is how directly the code represents your intent.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:11 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Learn how to use bit shifting, and use it! You will save a ton of memory and increase performance too!
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 4 of 13  [ 184 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: