Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 random number
Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
starlight

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:44 pm   Post subject: random number

int dieroll;
dieroll=(int)(6*Math.random())+1

the above lines generate random numbers between 1-6 but i don't really get what the "+1" at the end of the statment is for. anyone can explain? Like if i want to generate a number between 1 and 6 (not including 6) why can't i just simply use "dieroll=(int)(7*Math.random())"

and the other quesiton is

char int d=7
int dd
dd=d++

doesn't d++ mean d=d+1 so shouldn't dd be 8 and d be 7. Why when i tested it means the other way around (d =8 while dd =7)?

and lastly one strange thing that i found in Java is why 3.0/(15/6) equals to 1.5 If 3.0/(15/6) is equal to 1.5 then 15/6 has to equal to 2 meaning the answer will round down. why is that.

Thanks
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
beard0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

When you convert (6*Math.random())+1 to an integer, you aren't rounding it, you are truncating it, meaning only if Math.Random returned exactly 1.0 (I'm not sure even if it can) would you end up with a final result of 7. Your second option would have 0 as a possible result.

dd=d++:

d++ returns the value d, and increments d
Naveg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:12 pm   Post subject: Re: random number

starlight wrote:
int dieroll;
dieroll=(int)(6*Math.random())+1

the above lines generate random numbers between 1-6 but i don't really get what the "+1" at the end of the statment is for. anyone can explain? Like if i want to generate a number between 1 and 6 (not including 6) why can't i just simply use "dieroll=(int)(7*Math.random())"

and the other quesiton is

char int d=7
int dd
dd=d++

doesn't d++ mean d=d+1 so shouldn't dd be 8 and d be 7. Why when i tested it means the other way around (d =8 while dd =7)?

and lastly one strange thing that i found in Java is why 3.0/(15/6) equals to 1.5 If 3.0/(15/6) is equal to 1.5 then 15/6 has to equal to 2 meaning the answer will round down. why is that.

Thanks

1) Math.random() generates a number between 0 and 1. Since the first value you are choosing from is 1, you add 1 (0+1=1)

2)This comes down to prefix and postfix operators. The prefix (++d) will increment the variable and then use the new value in the expression. However, the postfix (d++) first uses the variable and only then increments its value.

3) 15/6 is integer division. In such a case, any decimal is truncated (cut off). Be careful not to confuse this with rounding, 3.778 will become 3! So in this example, 15/6 is 2.5, but because of integer division the decimal is truncated and it becomes 2.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The general format for random numbers in any language is this:

RandomInteger = (int) (Math.random() * maxNumber) + minNumber;

*edit* Oops, right beard0.
beard0

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

[Gandalf] wrote:
The general format for random numbers in any language is this:

RandomInteger = (int) (Math.random() * maxNumber) + minNumber;

errr.....

RandomInteger = (int) (Math.random() * (maxNumber-minNumber+1) + minNumber
starlight

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks. on the other notes. i am pretty confuse with when you can add the arithmetic and character together. for example
why does
code:
char c='A'+1 or
char c='A';c='A'+1 or
char c='A'; c++; works;
while something like
char c='A';
c=c+1; doesn't
beard0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

starlight wrote:
Thanks. on the other notes. i am pretty confuse with when you can add the arithmetic and character together. for example
why does
code:
char c='A'+1 or
char c='A';c='A'+1 or
char c='A'; c++; works;
while something like
char c='A';
c=c+1; doesn't

It has to do with the way types are interpreted. To be safe, explicitly change types, or use the increment operator:
e.g.
code:
char c = 'A';
c = ((char) (((int) c) + 3)); //for increasing by more than 1 or
c++; //for increasing by 1
   Index -> Programming, Java -> Java Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: