Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Computer virus's and protection:
Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
TokenHerbz

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 6:44 pm   Post subject: Computer virus's and protection:

Hi, i use AVG-Free and old vertion of ZoneAlarm...

I think i currently have a virus/trojan as my comp is really slowed down, internet wise, and my system resources are much lower then normal, even after shut down. 30% freeish

Anyways, just wanted to know any GOOD, FREE, TRUSTY ant-virus's to add to my collection, as AVG cant find anything, for like, a week now.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You most likely do not have any more viruses. Get a spyware/adware scanner and check for those.

spyware: Spybot
adware: AdAware
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Linux.
goomba

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I like Avast better than AVG, and it's also free. Of course, Spybot and MS Antispyware will help a lot. (They each get things the other doesn't.) If you are using ZoneAlarm correctly along with Firefox and Antispyware you shouldn't have any problems.

But the best ways to stay protected can be found here and here. Wink
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i'm actually a big fan of here ...and here of course!

btw:
www.clamav.net is supposed to be pretty good for *nix..
www.clamwin.com is supposed to be pretty good for windows (supposingly.. even better than leading commercial antivir software.. hmm)

on my linux i use firestarter for my firewall. i can tell you, it's much easier to use than zonealarm and it's just as powerful.. (folks @ zonelabs.. don't know how to create good a UI.. seriously)
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:46 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I recormend a hardware firewall like a linksys router....They tend to be a bit more stable and provied alot better quatlity of protection. Espltaly when you mix them with a software firewall, some anti-virus and some anti-spyware software.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Monstrosity_

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 12:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

TokenHerbz wrote:
Anyways, just wanted to know any GOOD, FREE, TRUSTY ant-virus's to add to my collection, as AVG cant find anything, for like, a week now.

Why is not finding a virus such a bad thing?

I dont use AV software but i can tell you this; its hard to label one to be generally better over another as they all have their own pros and cons, which means its usually a choice of personal preference. So I suggest if your unhappy with AVG, go read the reviews, test the products, and select the one _you_ like best.
codemage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 10:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Look up some reviews of anti-virus products.

Statistically, Avast is way better than AVG.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: