Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Recommendations for a new Laptop <is for suckers>
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
djlenny_3000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:13 am   Post subject: Recommendations for a new Laptop <is for suckers>

Hey every1 my last laptop just broke, i still cant find some of the plastic pieces, and i was planning on getting a new laptop, any ideas for what i should get. i was thinking the new dell xps but its pretty expensive but it has pretty colours on the front. i want to know you ideas for what i need in for the following

gaming-games like half-life 2 and matrix online so prob a good graphics card

word files - comes with all computers so mehh.

Music (i upload from my CD's *cough*)

etc.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:20 am   Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a new Laptop

djlenny_3000 wrote:
gaming-games like half-life 2.

get a desktop
Boo-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:22 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Or decide not to have children and overclock whatever laptop you get.
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:00 pm   Post subject: Re: Recommendations for a new Laptop

djlenny_3000 wrote:
Hey every1 my last laptop just broke, i still cant find some of the plastic pieces, and i was planning on getting a new laptop, any ideas for what i should get. i was thinking the new dell xps but its pretty expensive but it has pretty colours on the front.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

Getting a laptop because it looks pretty is probably a bad idea (goes double if it's a Dell).

Quote:

gaming-games like half-life 2 and matrix online so prob a good graphics card

Desktop. Or PS3.

Quote:

word files - comes with all computers so mehh.

Music (i upload from my CD's *cough*)

Pretty much any computer can steal -- I mean, rip music.
Also, laptops usually come with crappy to mediocre speakers.

Quote:

etc.

I hope the "etc." isn't anything complicated. Will you be moving around alot, or going to places where you will need your computer? (In which case you would need a laptop).

As for laptops, I'm fairly happy with my Asus Z71V. It's probably fast enough to play Half-Life 2.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

1st of all get a laptop that is made of a good quality metal and not plasick (as in the case). I whould not get one with a case made of plasick or alumnonm. 2ndly if u whont a gaming laptop perpaer to pay ALOT if you whont one that is going to be able to play the newest games over the next few years. Noramly if u whont to game get a desktop, i whould only recoremend such a laptop if u are ritch, have some speashal need that requres such portable power or what to buy a laptop that will stay up to date with things for the magoity of it's life time. Persoanly in my option the best power user/gaming laptop you can get is an aline ware. I am not up to date on there newest models but the one i have has standed up admazing over the time i have had it and is still up there with the top desktops. I am not ritch mind you but i do have the need to be able to set up a server anywhere and other such crazy things. Aline ware laptop are ushely prity strong pyshical speaking, i have yet to have any magor damge to it even tho i abuses the thing behond what any one should ever think of doing to a laptop of any kind (droping it, jumping over things with it while it is on, runing with it while it is on, puting it throw xrays and strong EM radtion, keeping it on for days, over heating it to the point where things start smelling like burning, using it as a sheild, as a flash light, as a desk, as a buliten borad, sickign things to it, riping them off, ect) and the worst that has happend is alot of sratch marks.

Aline ware dose have a small problem with heating but this is not realy a porblem if u use it sainly (ie. not over clocking on a hot summer day with no ac) and ushely most heating problems can be fixed with a cooling pad and/or cleaning of the fans with compresed air. The only other problem i have with them is that there tech sport is not the best, i think they outsorce to some country that can not speak english well.

I have also had a Dell laptop and had nothing but problems with it from the 1st day. I had to have somthing replaced on it monthly, eveything from mothborads, keyborads, mice, case, cpu, and cd drive. I gave up on it once the screen fell off tho. There was a falw in dell laptop mother borads where they whould burn out and casues failurs in the keyborad and mice also they have a falw in the LCD witch still exits today where affter about 3 years it will start slowly falling aprt. Ether with wired colors and lines starting down the screen some times of psyical problems like it falling off. One good thing about Dell tho is there tech sport was prity good, and they have on site fiting witch means they come to you to fix it rather then you having to send it away to them. That Dell laptop is still runing today but with out a screen, key borad, mouse or any other kind of i/o device. I just hocked in alot of external parts and made it a server for a bit.

Any how that is my rany about laptops........
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

whats wrong wit playing hl2 on a laptop? i play on mine and i get 72-75 fps constant
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I guess this is the same thing that's been said in numerous similar threads, but it'd be better to get a cheap laptop and a console instead blah blah blah.
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Not necessarily cheap, but get a laptop that's actually mobile. There's no sense in splurging on a laptop that gets 60fps in your game of choice and has a 2 hour battery life, when you could do both things better for less.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

another thing - find out how much your laptop would weight. How much it would really weight. Including all the accessories it will require such as a cooling pad, an extra battery pack, etc. Place that weight worth of textbooks in a laptop case and see how far / for how long you can carry that around. Don't forget to pack your regular load worth of books, notebooks and school/work supplies as well Laughing
Neo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I also have the z71v and would recommend it in a heartbeat. This is the perferct laptop if your a poor student looking for a relatively powerful laptop at a descent price. If you want something with alittle more power and sexier frame get the z70va. Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Not necessarily cheap, but get a laptop that's actually mobile. There's no sense in splurging on a laptop that gets 60fps in your game of choice and has a 2 hour battery life, when you could do both things better for less.

125fps and 1.2h when over clocked thank you.

And to tony it only wegiths about 20lbs with all that =p
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What's the "sperm killed per second" rating?
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Kids are for suckers.
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
What's the "sperm killed per second" rating?

LOL, pff never mind sperm if u put it on your lap with out a cooling pad you whould lose use of your legs.
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:35 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Legs are for suckers.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 3  [ 38 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: