Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Ubuntu Linux
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
josh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

if by optimization you mean java, updates, and flash, it is really easy to do. The ubuntuforums.org site is really good for stuff like that.

However when you install it, I had a problem where I set my location to Canada, and then when I tried to log on with the username and password I had set, it did not work.

I had to re-install and set my location to the US (someone on the ubuntu forums had the same problem), and it worked.

Also, how long did it take for you to install it. I am not sure if it was because I was on an old PC but it tooke me like 1.5-2 hours to get the updates and additoinal software (the phase during the installation) and istall them all.

Just wondering if any one knows where I go to set my location back to Canada now that it works?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rhysticlight wrote:
if by optimization you mean java, updates, and flash, it is really easy to do. The ubuntuforums.org site is really good for stuff like that.

However when you install it, I had a problem where I set my location to Canada, and then when I tried to log on with the username and password I had set, it did not work.

I had to re-install and set my location to the US (someone on the ubuntu forums had the same problem), and it worked.

Also, how long did it take for you to install it. I am not sure if it was because I was on an old PC but it tooke me like 1.5-2 hours to get the updates and additoinal software (the phase during the installation) and istall them all.

Just wondering if any one knows where I go to set my location back to Canada now that it works?

When I say optimization, I don't just mean java and flash. I also mean stuff like getting your NVidia/ATI card working, upgrading to a 686 processor (if neccesary), getting media codecs, etc. Some of the processes (particularly the former) can be very involving and prone to problems, and not something that should be attempted alone if it's your first time. ^ ^

1.5-2 hours is perfectly normal for a net install. Remember, it has to download about 700 megs worth of software, and then install, etc Smile

No idea about your location bug... it's the strangest thing o_O I'm in Canada, and I had no problems at all.
josh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I know, I would have had no idea what was going on if I had not read that post on the ubuntu forums
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:48 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Wake up, Hikaru!! It's morning! Very Happy
Installation is complete. I have to say I found the installation process to be very painless. There were a few things I was unsure about, but I think I picked the right choices. Wink
Actually, I didn't see anything about that MBR you were talking about, Hikaru. Hopefully that's not a bad thing.
The main question I have about this is how to get my two hard drives visible in both operating systems. Right now, I've got the master running Windows ME (ugh) and the slave running Ubuntu. In Windows, I can't see the slave drive anywhere. In Ubuntu, I can't see find Master drive. This is really important because if I am to use linux regularly and for every day work, I need all my files accessable from within Ubuntu. Any ideas?

rhystic: I think the entire install process took me from 10 until 12, though for a good portion of that time I was working my way through the install setup.
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:38 am   Post subject: (No subject)

are u sure the bios is configured to recognize both drives?
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:33 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Yep. When I had the windows only install, both drives were recognized.
I imagine the problem is that the master drive is partitioned as fat32 and the slave as ext3 (most of it, anyhow).
Actually, if this will work, where do I find the master drive in Linux?
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:48 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Try this in the command prompt:
code:
cd /dev && mount hda0
mount hda1

If that doesn't work, type simply
code:
mount
and paste the output here.
Andy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 11:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Oooo rite... hmm actualy i dunno, i think its fine if u have both drive partitioned to be differently... but try to use partition magic to change both partitions in to FAT32
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Changing both partitions into FAT32? Wouldn't that... not be too healthy for linux operation?
Actually, System Information in Windows can find the slave drive, as well as tell me about the size of the partitions on it. And in Linux, Device Manager can find the Master Drive, and tell me some stuff about it. But I can't use them! Mad

Thanks, Hikaru. I'll try that out soon. Smile

EDIT:
It didn't work. Confused

code:

root@ubuntu: /dev #mount
/dev/hdb1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts(rw,gid=5,mode=620)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)

Or, when I tried what you first suggested:
code:

root@ubuntu: /dev # cd /dev && mount hda0
mount: can't find hda0 in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab

I can see a little icon that says hda0 in the /dev folder (mind you, I can also see hda1, hda2, etc. as well as hdb0, hdb1 ... and a bunch of other things like that). I don't know why it's searching in /etc/fstab or /etc/mtab when hda0 seems to be in /dev.

EDIT2
Do I have to add something to /etc/fstab?
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hm... it's been years since I've had Linux and Windows on the same machine, so my knowledge in this area is a bit sketchy Sad

However, Ubuntu is known for it's excellent support system. If you go to irc.freenode.net and join #ubuntu and ask there, you'll get an instant response. Alternatively, try posting about it at http://ubuntuforums.org . Or, best of all, check their VERY comprehensive Wiki about Ubuntu support issues at http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/ .

In the meantime, I'll do some research. I promise I'll get this thing working for you ^ ^
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I am not worthy Thanks Hikaru!
Actually, I've been searching around the ubuntu forums and have read a few of those wiki's, though most of my searching there has been regarding getting my modem working. (Driver problems, I suspect. Rebooting my machine just to try something I learned on the internet is really annoying!) Thanks for the irc.freenode.net, I didn't know that's what the server was.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 12:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cervantes wrote:
EDIT2
Do I have to add something to /etc/fstab?

Wow, turns out I was right. With help from the irc channel, I discovered that I must change /etc/fstab in the following manner:
As the root user (it's read only for all other users), add the following line:
code:

/dev/hda1 <TAB> /mnt/dos (could use any place though) <TAB> auto <TAB> defaults <TAB> 0 <TAB> 2

then, in the terminal:
code:

mount /dev/hda1

I'm a little curious as to why it's hda1 and not hda0 though. I'm still confused about how linux names drives.
Anyways, w00t! Now, I must get dial-up networking operational.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

w00t!! Go Cervantes Smile

OK, for Dial-up, try this: http://www.ubuntulinux.org/wiki/DialupModemHowto/view?searchterm=dial-up
Cervantes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It seems that I've got a winmodem. Blast. What's more, the chipset is conexant. As far as I can tell, the only place to download linux drivers for conexant modems is www.linuxant.com. Linuxant allows free download of the drivers, but data flow is limited to 14.4kbps. That's not cool. To get a full 56kbps data flow, you have to pay $15 USD, which I'm not about to do. If anyone knows another place to download linux drivers for conexant style modems, I'd greatly appreciate it Smile
The other option I have is try to set up my dad's old external US Robotics 56K modem, which I believe is not a winmodem, though I can't be sure until I plug it in and test it out.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
-Cervantes
josh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 12:05 am   Post subject: (No subject)

that does ont seem to be in the Linux spririt of making the software free. If it is for linux, is that even allowed under the GNU ( I don't know much about the GNU, but from what I have heard that seems a little iffy)
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 4  [ 54 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: