Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

What is your favourite game preferece?
(Voting is closed)
Call of Duty (any)
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Halo (any)
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Blizzard Entertainment Games
80%
 80%  [ 8 ]
Gears of War (any)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Internet Games (If voted for this, state your favorite)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I dont like any of those! I play the games that i create!
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 10

Velocity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:54 am   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

"well you guys are pro, how about we all get together and make our own fps and make it to our wildest dreams" - philosopher
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Velocity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:56 am   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

@ Insectoid if you want a game all inclusive (blood, gore, gunfire, drowning in blood) your looking a game like Gears Of War, its all inclusive
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:58 am   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

Yes those are all great ideas. I want to do a modern warfare/peacekeeping game first, then I want to recreate the horror of the world wars. I want to do things in them, such as include vimy ridge, where you lose, but you still must try and win.

As for the current game, Demonwasp, your own death will be the least of your worries. The game will be centered around stopping a group of extremists from committing a massive genocide. You must ensure not only that you save the civilians, but you treat the enemies as the geneva convention states. There will be an easy mode that will remind you of injured enemies that you must carry back to safety and so on, and then there will be a hardcore mode where you aren't given a HUD with markers for geneva convention rules, and you must follow them on your own.

Death will result in an automatic failure, yes, but more importantly, if you commit a war crime, you will recieve an audit, and if they determine your guilty (after like 3 audits or if you break a lot of rules at once), then you lose the entire game.

And demonwasp, your idea for respawning, that's what I'm going to do with the world war version. Failing a mission will mean having to regroup, and assualt the same place again. It will mean that the Nazi's stay in power for longer, and more people are exterminated. I will also include statistics that will make people realize how awful the battles were. There will be a ft per death counter, which tells you how much ground you've covered per life lost. You can't redo any missions, the game just continues until you get to Berlin.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:42 am   Post subject: Re: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

Velocity @ Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:56 am wrote:
@ Insectoid if you want a game all inclusive (blood, gore, gunfire, drowning in blood) your looking a game like Gears Of War, its all inclusive

You miss my point. Gears is gory for 'awesome factor'. I want gore for 'terror factor'.

Rather than "Omg did you see that guy explode" I want "oh my god...I can't believe they did that".

The strogification scene in Quake 4, for example, is a "Holy crap...that's awful" moment. It almost makes me sick. It creates a very real emotional response to the strogg. You're no longer fighting aliens. You're fighting monsters. You're not just saving the human race. You're stopping these vile acts. The fact that it's happening to YOU, in the first person, makes the effect that much more powerful than just watching it happen to other characters.

Most games that include naked corpses conveniently hide (or simply don't include) genitalia. This takes away from the realism, so you don't really care about them. It's a small thing, but you no longer identify those corpses as people, so you don't really exhibit an emotional response. Amnesia: The Dark Descent's corpses hid nothing, and you're quite literally horrified when you see these things. They take things one step further so these things are no longer cool, they're terrible.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:55 am   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

Well it's an option to get together and make this game, however I like using XNA and C#, and I'm not sure if anything else likes using that. If anyone does and wants to work on a project like this, PM me.

Since the point of the game is not necessarily to be fun, but rather to show you what war is actually like, I might look into contacting the Legion and seeing if we could get something together where we get their seal of approval, and can interview and get help from them, and in return we donate profits from the game to them.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:03 pm   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

Haha, I'd love to help out, but not if you're using XNA, due to cross-platform issues. It's an ambitious project, for sure. I'd look into free game engines. id tech 4 (Doom 3 engine) has just been released under OpenGL, is cross-platform and fairly modern. I dunno how documented it is though.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:21 pm   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

Yeah, I figured as much. I really don't like using game engines as I prefer to make sure that the engine is designed perfectly for the game. It's pretty simple to design your own 3D engine in XNA, and it will allow me to make sure that the engine exceeds at drawing certain things. Probably the most important thing in a game like this is to make sure that things are truly horrifying, to make sure blood reacts as it should, and make sure that bodies never disappear, and you can't move through them. Many things that would be vitally important to this game would be not very high priority in game engines, and many things high priority in game engines would be near useless in this.

I want to stick with XNA also because I want sell it on the Xbox as well, and short of getting a contract with a console maker, it's the only way it'll get on a console.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:45 pm   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

Quote:
make sure that bodies never disappear, and you can't move through them.

I've always wanted to see this in an RTS, as a strategy for scaling walls. Just keep sending troops to the wall until they pile up high enough to climb over.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:13 pm   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

I think it's an integral part of this game, having to climb over the hundreds of other bodies. The collision detection for each will have to be simplified, either that or bodies will morph into one once they stay on the ground for long enough.
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:46 pm   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

In this spirit, I will release the script I wrote for SNIPERDUDE since he didn't use it anyways...once I find it.

EDIT: It's a script for FPS, is anyone interested?
Velocity

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:21 pm   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

@ Insectoid what about F.E.A.R - Project Origin
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:37 pm   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

I might be interested in seeing it.
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:20 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

mirhagk @ Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:37 pm wrote:
I might be interested in seeing it.

Posted here: http://mcode.ca/2011/12/21/a-hopefully-creative-story/

Wow, that came out looking bad, I need to completely redesign my site. This theme was used due to laziness.
Velocity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:18 am   Post subject: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

the best and hardest game in the world and also most realistic will give you one life and if you die and try to click play again the game will tell you off and say you wanted a realistic game, well you got one, no restarts or respawns, hence i think battlefield isnt realistic at all... Dont even give me that crap in real life you dont respawn.
ProgrammingFun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:19 am   Post subject: Re: RE:What do you rather prefer? (Gaming)

Velocity @ Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:18 am wrote:
the best and hardest game in the world and also most realistic will give you one life and if you die and try to click play again the game will tell you off and say you wanted a realistic game, well you got one, no restarts or respawns, hence i think battlefield isnt realistic at all... Dont even give me that crap in real life you dont respawn.
Since no-one will buy such a game, realism in video games is relative to other games and how much they mimic reality. Realism in Battlefield is more obvious then in CoD because a real battlefield (pun intended) does have destructible environments and vehicles. Therefore, since Battlefield incorporates more aspects of reality then CoD, hence it is more "realistic". An even more realistic (in another way) game is Metal Gear Solid because it has no such things as checkpoints so missions have to be played from start to end successfully.

However, if I was to add on to your point, such a game would also have to completely brick your console as well to provide a more "realistic" sense of disappointment and frustration. Wink
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 4  [ 58 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: