Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 amd 64
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

what type of processor do you have
(No ending time set)
Athlon 64
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Athlon XP
31%
 31%  [ 6 ]
Duron/Athlon
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Pentium 4
36%
 36%  [ 7 ]
Pentium 3
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
Celeron
10%
 10%  [ 2 ]
pentium 2 or less
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
other
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

Martin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

And Dan, since when do you have a Radeon 9700 and a p4 3.2GHz? You got your laptop before the mobile 9700's were even out...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

martin wrote:
And Dan, since when do you have a Radeon 9700 and a p4 3.2GHz? You got your laptop before the mobile 9700's were even out...

hey if u do not blive me come and look at it.....and by the way alineware laptops have upgradeable graficks moduals.....
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You upgraded?
Neo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

How much did u pay for your laptop dan?
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

its an alienware.. so well over 6k
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dodge_tomahawk wrote:
its an alienware.. so well in the 3k

In total with all the stuff it came out to be like just under 7k i think Confused
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Andy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

o snap... damn
Neo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

7k..... Confused why didnt you just get a desktop, thats if you use it for games. If you use it for work and games then get a good desktop and a cheap laptop. Im sure it would be under 7k.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You could buy all three major consoles for under 7 hundred dollars if your major goal is games.
Neo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
You could buy all three major consoles for under 7 hundred dollars if your major goal is games.

But can you play Half-Life 2 or Doom 3 or Farcry? Rolling Eyes
wtd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

First person shooters are lame.
Martin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I can't see any reason for spending more than $1000 on a desktop.
Dan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:30 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Neo wrote:
7k..... Confused why didnt you just get a desktop, thats if you use it for games. If you use it for work and games then get a good desktop and a cheap laptop. Im sure it would be under 7k.

b/c i do not need a desktop i needed a laptop........and if it was just for games that u whould be right but it aucatly is not used for games very offten....

Edit: my magor goal was a laptop that whould stay upto date for the maxium amount of time and somting powerfull enougth to be able to do anything needed as well as some of my "experments". Also the desging of the alineware laptop i have is prity nice besides the nice stats, it is made to last unlike some of the laptops i have had in the past like my dell one witch needed repare every month. The only problems i have had with the alineware is some heat issues witch where easy enougth to fix and most only a problem not b/c it whould hurt the laptop at all but your lap Razz
Blade

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
ya but if u do overclock it u can cook stuff on your cpu and that saves u money on heating and a stove Wink

Tho ushely PCs can take a bit b4 anything unreparbale hapens......i just whould not do it in a laptop (unless u like your lap being bured off).

shorthair wrote:
Why would you want to overclock it

its not a bottleneck for you , so there is no reason

A ) Your shortening its life by overclocking it

B ) Riskingy a temperature Problem that leads to shutdowns without permission

C ) YOUR GOING AT A BLAZING SPEED

Is it really worth geting few more Mhz , risking a chip as nice as that Confused

thats not true, if you can control the extra heat that the processor gives off by increasing the speed, the processor will last just as long.. my friend had an athlon 600 running at 1.3 ghz for 3 years before he upgraded. normally desktop athlon xp's (thoroughbred and barton) with stock cooling run at ~45C ... the palomino's ran over 50C .. the athlon 64's have some newer technology that is like PowerNow! but better, so when they arent being used the multiplier steps down so that the clock speed is lowered so that not as much heat is given off. i'm not too sure as to how warm the 64's run, but its probably in the 30's or 40's... however the p4's have a big heat problem.. they run hotter than athlon on stock cooling anyways, i dont know of any numbers because intel is useless to me..

if you are a gamer overclocking is very useful, with my old athlon xp 2500 i only got around 13000/14000 3dmark01 points, when i jumped it up to 2.5 with my mobile i increased my 3dmark01 points up to 18000.. if you ask me thats a pretty nice performance boost... besides, just bombin around on linux or windows you can see a performance change with all the programs -- its like a free upgrade lol.

oh, and i would NOT overclock on stock cooling, you probably would damage the cpu. right now i have a copper heatsink that i got out of an Aero 7+ hs/f ... and an 80mm vantec tornado case fan that runs at 6000rpm.. it is EXTREAMLY noisy and gave me headaches so i made a 7v mod switch to turn from 7v to 12v to cool my processor when i do extreme overclocks for when i'm doing a lot of gaming, otherwise i normally run at 2100mhz and on the 7v mod i can run at 33C idle.

S20200082.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  270.79 KB
 Viewed:  1788 Time(s)

S20200082.jpg

zomg

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 8:02 am   Post subject: (No subject)

mine runs at 44c when i dont overclock it

but when i did it ran at 46c
(i overclocked it 200mhz)

what kinda power supply does this thing supposed to have... ihave a 300w
but my friend is telling me that i wont have enough power to run my computer when its under high stress

my computer would restart out of no where when it was OC'd but i put it back... but my friend thins that there wasnt enough power getting to everything in my computer

i thought it was cool n' quiet technology
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 34 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: