Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 corrupted graphics??
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Neo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Blade wrote:
[Gandalf] wrote:
person wrote:
Well, I've tried the one ATI provides...and....do I have other options?

I've noticed that hacked drivers often work better than the official releases, also, you might try upgrading or downgrading your current official drivers.

well for nvidia i've heard that Omega drivers are the best. i use them for my geforce 6800 and they seem to work much better. as for ati, i've heard that DNA drivers are the best. however both DNA and Omega release drivers for both manufacturers. but, both are alternatives to what you're using now.

The omega drivers for nvidia cards are from 2005...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

these third party drivers may seem to "work better" but if you put it through a stress test you'll see that they alot worse than the ATI official ones, oh and while we're on this topic, NVidia drivers suck, they score on average 17% lower than ATI ones at stress tests
Blade

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

ohhh we all know you're opinion will change once you get a job at nvidia Wink

the geforce 6 was released in 2004, the geforce 7 was released in 2005, so if the omega drivers were for 2005 nvidia gpu's, then that covers all the current gpus... http://www.nvidia.com/page/corporate_timeline.html
codemage

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:12 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Those are all things that will cause a lot of heat and/or draw a lot of power.

Use one of the tools to check power consumption and heat. How many watts is your supply rated at, btw?
Neo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 10:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Blade wrote:
ohhh we all know you're opinion will change once you get a job at nvidia Wink

the geforce 6 was released in 2004, the geforce 7 was released in 2005, so if the omega drivers were for 2005 nvidia gpu's, then that covers all the current gpus... http://www.nvidia.com/page/corporate_timeline.html

But are they more stable than the recent ones?
codemage

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Sometimes. Some applications like them, some don't. I've never noticed an increased framerate using non-official drivers, but I've had a few games that wouldn't run without them.
Blade

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i know for a fact that omega drivers are the actual drivers released by nvidia, just tweaked for performance or quality, depending on which profile you choose to use.
codemage

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

That's what pretty much all non-standard drivers are. A lot of the settings are just that; but some of the tweaks are more intensive - which is why they aren't officially supported by the corps.

A lot of the tweakers have worked at or in cooperation with the card companies, so they know what they're doing, for the most part.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

codemage is right. the ATI Driver is about 5-6 million lines of code.. no "third party" is going to rewrite all of that, and even if they wanted to, internal specificaiton and designs arent readily avaliable over the internet
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 24 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: