Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 DWITE+TURING
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
sport

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:22 pm   Post subject: DWITE+TURING

Ok guys it is a deadly combination. We had all the problems solved and our teacher siad was very efficient. Can the people that help with Dwite make up a constant for the time limit for Turing. It is pretty frustrating to know that the programes are working and getting zip.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i talked to sentjens (I did NOT make those rules or those problems this time) and he says he wont reconsider having special treatment for turing.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

he said:

Yes Turing has some disadvantages [longer runtime]. One being that the DWITE judge uses an
old DOS Turing compiler which does not compile properly Turing code that
is developed in a more recent version.?I have yet to figure out how to
make a Turing .exe from the command line using WINOOT.?I have tried to
contact Holt but they do not return my messages.?I also believe that
Turing has had its time and that Holt is putting all of its resources into
Ready to Java.
thegoose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:48 pm   Post subject: Re: DWITE+TURING

sport wrote:
Ok guys it is a deadly combination. We had all the problems solved and our teacher siad was very efficient.

You'll have to make the switch eventually anyways. After CCC stage 1, they won't let you use anything other than Pascal and C/C++.
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 5:24 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It's good. Turing is a useless langauge.

The ontario schoolboard is managed by retards.
sport

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I can switch no problem but we have a few grade 10 guys that are barelly familiar with Turing and it would be unfair to make them learn JAVA or PASCAl when they don't even how Turing works.
Martin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:53 am   Post subject: (No subject)

They're not real programmers, ignore them.
zylum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yeah i have the same problem... my teacher is a retard and wont install java onto the system (we have rtp) so im stuck with turing... last contest i solved all problems aswell but when i went to submit 4 out of 5 of them timed out... when i tested them using their test cases, they didnt come near timing out.

btw i found this contest a little on the easy side. no challenging problems
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
shorthair

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Shorthair had once again made a claim to fame, by convincing hte Network admina and COmp teachers to use the Sun Java Distro's instead of RTP

They all agree that it saves money and gets students better prepared for hte java world

Yay , i made a difference
rizzix

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 9:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

woah.. Shocked nice.. wootz... Laughing

+1000 bits for doing that Wink ( i know ur a mod sheesh )
thegoose

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 3:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

shorthair wrote:
Shorthair had once again made a claim to fame, by convincing hte Network admina and COmp teachers to use the Sun Java Distro's instead of RTP

They all agree that it saves money and gets students better prepared for hte java world

Yay , i made a difference

Why Java? Isn't C/C++ more common out there?
As for speed (constant factor infront of the big O), I still think Pascal is the fastest in terms of that.
sport

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 4:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hahaha Laughing Apparantly the old Turing v3.0 runs 100 times faster. YES 100 TIMES FASTER and all the programs that timed out during the DWITE constants run under 150 milliseconds in Turing v3.0 it is beyound me why the new version is so slower so could the people at the DWITE thing please use Turing v3.0 to test the problems. I'll send a version of the old TCOMP if you do not have one.
thegoose

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

sport wrote:
Hahaha Laughing Apparantly the old Turing v3.0 runs 100 times faster. YES 100 TIMES FASTER and all the programs that timed out during the DWITE constants run under 150 milliseconds in Turing v3.0 it is beyound me why the new version is so slower so could the people at the DWITE thing please use Turing v3.0 to test the problems. I'll send a version of the old TCOMP if you do not have one.

The problem is that most judges (even the ones they use for higher level contests) require a command-line compiler. Turing is deisgned as an interpretive language (I think), which means that the code is not suppose to be compiled to run. From what I know, the version used during DWITE is the 1.01 (Dos one)
sport

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I amnot sure what you are talking about but I am sure that for the Turing v3.0 they a program TCOMP is used to compliel. In previous years this program was used to compiel and the exe was sent to the only judge, since the network can not accept exe files they decieded to sent only the source code, but I still have the TCOMP that came with Turing v3.0 so there is no problem with the compliler. 8)
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 14 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: