Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 University Programming Languages
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Chist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:13 am   Post subject: University Programming Languages

I have been accepted to Western and Guelph for Computer Science.I've worked with Java for the last two years, and was wondering if anyone knew if it's used in these programs, and if there are other languages, what are they? I want to work on my programming skills before September and dont want to work on a language I'll never use Razz
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:42 am   Post subject: RE:University Programming Languages

I didn't go to either of those universities, but it's likely that you'll use several different languages throughout the program. C/C++/Java are very common for first & second year courses, and in the upper years you'll use more exotic languages like Prolog or Haskell. You won't stop using C/C++/Java either.

In practical terms, the language you practise with over the summer doesn't matter. It will help to try something new, but the general concepts of programming are far more important than the syntax and grammar you use to apply them.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:14 pm   Post subject: Re: University Programming Languages

It shouldn't matter what the languages are. Computer Science is taught at a theoretical level, often without any specific languages. You'd likely be expected to pick up on your professor's favourite language to complete the assignments.
Chist @ Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:13 am wrote:
dont want to work on a language I'll never use Razz

Why not? You'd want to know how to use more tools than just a hammer Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Chist

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:01 pm   Post subject: Re: University Programming Languages

Thanks guys! Smile I'll likely attempt to learn some C++ or another language for fun!
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: