Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Need help with VM Virtual Bo
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
QuantumPhysics

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:00 am   Post subject: RE:Need help with VM Virtual Bo

Okay, I installed the i386 version and its working now. It's working, it got a bunch of erros at startup but its working fine now, one more question. Does it matter if i run the virtual box along with my original OS? Does it matter if i keep it open all the time and dont close it? Does it kill my sys memory fast? The main reason that I am using this is to run some of the python scripts i made and to test some of the extensions i made for backtrack 5
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:06 am   Post subject: RE:Need help with VM Virtual Bo

It depends on how much memory and CPU time you dedicated to it. For instance if you have a quad core machine, and 8GB of ram, you won't even notice if you've given it 1 core and 2GB of ram (which would probably be MORE than enough).
QuantumPhysics

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:15 pm   Post subject: RE:Need help with VM Virtual Bo

i have a dual core and 16 GB of ram, but its a lap top
Zren

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:24 pm   Post subject: RE:Need help with VM Virtual Bo

> Does it matter if i run the virtual box along with my original OS?

That's pretty much the entire point of a virtual machine.

> Does it matter if i keep it open all the time and dont close it?

You're using up a dedicated amount of resources. Even if the VM (virtual machine) isn't using them, that doesn't mean they are free for use in the main OS. Nor will more than you've dedicated be available to your VM. You'll probably notice more lagging in the VM than in your main OS.

> Does it kill my sys memory fast?

Learn how to output cpu/memory usage and decide for yourself. Do so both on the Windows side, and inside the VM.

> i have a dual core and 16 GB of ram, but its a lap top

How much did you dedicate? (1 core + ? ram)
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:44 pm   Post subject: RE:Need help with VM Virtual Bo

If you dedicate a single core and enough RAM to keep the VM happy (if you have 16 GB then might as well give it 4 GB) then you probably won't notice that both are running at once unless both are accessing the hard drive a lot.
QuantumPhysics

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:52 pm   Post subject: RE:Need help with VM Virtual Bo

I have 2 harddrives each is running on its own hard drive
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:09 pm   Post subject: RE:Need help with VM Virtual Bo

Yeah then you won't ever really notice. It'll consume battery life more, but that's about it. (unless you're playing games)
QuantumPhysics

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:26 pm   Post subject: RE:Need help with VM Virtual Bo

Lol, i wouldnt use a VM to play games. Im using it for railgun w/ metasploit cause i ruined it on my GNU + linux machine

RE: Thank-you very much to everyone for being such a great help!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 23 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: