Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Are you a Speedcuber?
Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Are you a Speedcuber / Are you attending TOS?
(Voting is closed)
Yes
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
No
71%
 71%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 14

Shah-Cuber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:42 pm   Post subject: Are you a Speedcuber?

Just wondering ... are there any Speedcubers on compsci?
Basically, a Speedcuber is a person who solves a Rubik's cube for time.
I have an official WCA profile, and have been to some competitions in the past.
Heres a link to my profile (Though grossly outdated >_>): http://www.worldcubeassociation.org/results/p.php?i=2008AMER02
If you are, the next competition, the Toronto Open Summer 2009 competition will be held on Saturday June 27th, 2009 at the Seneca Residence and Conference Centre, about the competition you can visit http://canadiancubing.com/Events.aspx?ID=14
Hope to see you there!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:03 pm   Post subject: RE:Are you a Speedcuber?

I can probably solve a Rubiks cube in a few days... maybe months? It's hard to say because I've never done it before. Razz It is pretty impressive seeing people do those in under a minute.
Analysis Mode

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:05 pm   Post subject: Re: Are you a Speedcuber?

wow, those are pretty good times. I do know someone who averages 17 on rubiks.
Shah-Cuber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:17 pm   Post subject: Re: Are you a Speedcuber?

Normally, that's what the human mind set is, however if one thinks about it and with the help of the world wide web, you realize that the problem can be viewed differently, and sometimes even the simplest techniques work. For example, normally people consider solving all 6 faces of the cube at the same time, but it is actually more efficient (disregarding optimal generated algorithms) to solve a cube in layers, and once the concept is understood, it is actually very easy and somewhat addicting. After a few attempts, one generally begins to time themselves, and see's huge improvements from what you considered before as "months" to simple seconds (up to one digit even ! (pro's only Wink)). The most commonly used method is called the Fridrich method, which considers the same aspect of solving layers at a time, except, one solves two layers at once (following a sequence of simple steps) and the final layer, to a combination of approximately 120 algorithms, that might take a long time to memorize, but in the end, huge improvements can be seen. I hope that you see the Rubik's cube as more of a challenge to be discovered, rather than the intentional mind set of a somewhat "impossible" 3D puzzle Smile
Try it for yourself, and you'll be amazed as what human beings can really accomplish Smile
Shah-Cuber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:20 pm   Post subject: Re: Are you a Speedcuber?

@ Analysis Mode - There are a lot of other people who are better than i am, however, i have improved since those times, and can also achieve 18 second averages, and have a personal best time of 9.86 seconds Smile The national record currently (single) is 9.44 seconds O____O
Vermette

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:58 pm   Post subject: Re: Are you a Speedcuber?

I'm definitely not a speedcuber, but I can go fast enough to impress people at a party. I timed myself once at 1:15. I learned the Petrus method; don't really know any others.

I own a Professor's Cube as well; Haven't mastered the steps to reduce it to 3x3x3 so it still takes me +40min.
Cyril

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:50 pm   Post subject: RE:Are you a Speedcuber?

Shahriar, if I went to TOS with you, I would humiliate you to no end. Imagine bringing a duck to a physics conference or something.

Cubing really isn't as mind-bending as it seems. When you watch a cuber, it seems like a mind-bending 3-D logic exercise, but after practice it reduces to memorizing silly algorithms and reflex observations- very little thinking is required. We don't actually think of cubes as cubes- rather, they are collections of different kinds of pieces (edges, vertices, centres, wings for bigger cubes, etc.) with different colours, which are permuted with algorithms that eventually become muscle memory. Getting fast is just a matter of practice.
Clayton

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:31 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Are you a Speedcuber?

Cyril @ Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:50 pm wrote:
Getting fast is just a matter of practice.

And having a cube that doesn't stick or otherwise fall apart on you Razz
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Analysis Mode

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:37 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Are you a Speedcuber?

Cyril @ Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:50 pm wrote:
Getting fast is just a matter of practice.

Sorry, but that's what she said!
saltpro15

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:48 pm   Post subject: RE:Are you a Speedcuber?

zing!
A.J

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:02 pm   Post subject: RE:Are you a Speedcuber?

I am pretty bad at solving the cube...

I started the Rubik Cube during my vacation last year. 7 days later, my best personal time was 48 seconds (I think).

After those 7 days of cubing I stopped altogether, not because I didn't want to cube anymore, but because of lack of cubes Sad (I have been looking for them everywhere for some time now...). If I had cubed for more than 7 days (i.e. if I have been cubing since the time I stopped), I probably would have reached a good time, but you may never know...
Cyril

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:09 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Are you a Speedcuber?

Analysis Mode @ Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:37 pm wrote:
Sorry, but that's what she said!

This is what all of the Woburnites did to me at Stage 2.
ecookman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:34 pm   Post subject: RE:Are you a Speedcuber?

lol i can solve it in about..hmmm lemme see....about 5 mins...using a screw driver....

but yea i can solve them...but it takes me forever
Geniis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:03 pm   Post subject: Re: Are you a Speedcuber?

I can solve a cube in about 1 - 2 mins, my best is 1:14 or sumthing like that... but thats cause i have a crappy dollar store rubiks cube that always sticks. I would definetly get into speedcubing if i ever got a good cube, i should get one lol
Shah-Cuber

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:39 pm   Post subject: Re: Are you a Speedcuber?

Well, TOS is over, it was very fun, broke some of my personal best times, specifically on 3x3 and 5x5 ^_^
Just a heads up, to all people near Kitchener, the next competition, in around a month or so, is the C3 (Canadian Cubing Classic), hopefully i will see you all there Very Happy
   Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: