Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Helping out a New Programmer
Index -> Programming, Python -> Python Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Sniper4Life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:48 am   Post subject: Helping out a New Programmer

well hiya I started python like 1 day ago and everything and im new to computer programming but i understand the basics and all
i was doing c++ when i first started coding like 2 months go...but i realized it was difficult and members of this board...told me...to do python ^^
now...what are some downloads i might need?

im currently using this page: http://www.sthurlow.com/python/

to learn bout python...and currently im on lesson 6...ive got the python thing THEY told me to download working perfectly..
but i saw another post by wtd talking about the python interpreter?
so could someone explain some of the basic downloads and things you need...for python?
with links Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Sniper4Life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:49 am   Post subject: Re: Helping out a New Programmer

also...for wtd's post..here is the link to it...http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=6509

ive got texpad installed and kno how to use it...but the interpreter link is dead...and i dont understand how you use the syntax file......ya Sad
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:56 am   Post subject: RE:Helping out a New Programmer

The site linked in the OP has you downloading Python from the correct source (python.org) but an outdated version.

I would suggest either grabbing 2.6 or if you want to live on the cutting edge, 3.0 from python.org.

Most of your initial experimentation will occur in the interactive interpreter and not via creating text files and then running them.
Sniper4Life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:58 am   Post subject: Re: Helping out a New Programmer

ok wtd ty but....

k when i said the python thing from the other site i meant the IDLE
i got it working fine...but the interpreter...not so much
and i dont kno what the interpreter does...O.o

and how do you use the syntax highlighting?

k wait so i need the IDLE....and the interpreter right?
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:03 pm   Post subject: RE:Helping out a New Programmer

You don't need IDLE.

The interpreter is... Python. Do you know how to use the Windows command-line?
Sniper4Life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:17 pm   Post subject: Re: Helping out a New Programmer

ok....so python IS the interpreter..got it...and no...i really have no idea how to use the cmd.....also...could you give me some links to downloading python and highlighting?

also...IDLE works fine...like i have python 2.4 and i use idle to actually compile the scripts...and it seems to work fine for me...it gives a proper output and everything...
but w/e i wont argue with the CompSci god Very Happy

ok so i downloaded python 2.6

http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.6.1/python-2.6.1.msi

so i use...the python GUI (which is basically IDLE)...
the python gui is used...for all my stuff...and its the interpreter?

or is that the python command line?
like your really confusing me...
Dusk Eagle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:04 pm   Post subject: Re: Helping out a New Programmer

From what I remember, when you first launch IDLE, you are presented with the command line version of Python, so entering
Python:

print "Hello World"

will immediately output "hello world" to the screen (once you've pressed enter). Opening a new window, however, will give you the more traditional text editor, where typing 'print "hello world"' will not output until you order the program to run. The former is the python command line, whereas the latter is the text files.

Did that help?
saltpro15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:06 pm   Post subject: RE:Helping out a New Programmer

open a new window in IDLE, and hit F5 to run your programs
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Sniper4Life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:39 pm   Post subject: Re: Helping out a New Programmer

k k...listen i figured all of it out before
like i was using python perfectly before...i think what wtd was trying to tell me...is to update it?
cus i was making scripts...opening them on IDLE....and press run to run em(f5 doesnt work on my keyboard Sad)....

so ya...and the IDLE was working fine for me...wtd just confused me O.O....and he said most of my constructing will be on the interpreter...(which im making an assumption is the command line?).....but umm...how will it be?
wont most of my scripting just be by writing code then running it?

and dusk...i already understand that Very Happy
the thing i DONT understand is what the interpreter is...im making an assumption it is the command line...basically IDLE before you make a new window...am i correct?

python is the interpreter but python is the command line but wtd told me that isnt the interpreter
SO IM CONFUSED CUS OF WHAT WTD SAID ><

so this is basically what im thinking

python=interpreter
python=command line
IDLE(before new window)=command line(seems like it performs same function)
wtd says-you dont use IDLE much...you use the interpreter

IDLE=python..

someone following me on this??
saltpro15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:04 pm   Post subject: RE:Helping out a New Programmer

no offense to wtd, he is a genius, but he likes to use a lot of jargon. basically you have it right, just use IDLE, don't worry about the command line for now, get some experience writing programs first
Sniper4Life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:25 pm   Post subject: Re: Helping out a New Programmer

k...cool Very Happy

i was still using python perfectly since the start so ya Very Happy
im right Very Happy
hehe Very Happy

also i have a question that just needs opinions

which should i use for coding

wordpad or textpad?

and if textpad....got any highlighting things for it?
saltpro15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 6:45 pm   Post subject: Re: Helping out a New Programmer

I use this editor actually, i'm quite fond of it Smile Just save your files as .py extension
Sniper4Life

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:25 pm   Post subject: RE:Helping out a New Programmer

btw saltpro plz do check out my other topic Very Happy
i post my first script Very Happy
hehe Very Happy
   Index -> Programming, Python -> Python Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: