Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Rising logo (stupid topic name)
Index -> Web Design
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Okapi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:45 pm   Post subject: Rising logo (stupid topic name)

This might be a stupid question, couldn't even think of a good topic title for it. I will just describe it:

User enters in URL and goes to site.

Site shows their logo in the middle, the logo moves up the screen to the top where it will stay. When it is at the top the rest of the site appears.

That might sound ridiculous but is it possible? Obviously it isn't with HTML but is it possible with javascript or anything?

P.S. No I don't mean a flash solution.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:53 pm   Post subject: RE:Rising logo (stupid topic name)

You can relatively easily setup animation scripts with JavaScript frameworks, such as jQuery or Prototype.

Though personally I'm not a fan of the concept where all of the content is hidden until I wait through an animation. Maybe you can come up with something that is less obtrusive?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
S_Grimm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:11 pm   Post subject: RE:Rising logo (stupid topic name)

such as a logo overtop of the page? one with a "x" button? or a skip animation option? (Only things I could think of)
Unforgiven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:22 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Rising logo (stupid topic name)

Tony @ Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:53 pm wrote:
You can relatively easily setup animation scripts with JavaScript frameworks, such as jQuery or Prototype.

Though personally I'm not a fan of the concept where all of the content is hidden until I wait through an animation. Maybe you can come up with something that is less obtrusive?

This, on both counts. I've recently used JQuery a little, and am becoming a fan. I don't know offhand exactly how to go about your situation, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if it were very easy to do with it.

Like I said though, I agree about the animation wait as well. It's just like I hate sites that have headers and whatnot that take up the upper 50% of my browser window - the percentage of "other crap" to "content" needs to be thought about more, I think. This falls into the same category - we have multi-core processors and high-speed internet connections all to make things faster, and what you're proposing is intentionally in direct opposition to that. Can you really imagine anyone stopping and saying "I sure am glad they interrupted what I was doing to make me watch their logo"?

Unless you're doing a very niche website (something where it's expected to be extremely artsy, that sort of thing), I say drop it. Your users will thank you (well, they won't, but if it'll help, I will).
jeffgreco13

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:18 pm   Post subject: Re: Rising logo (stupid topic name)

use jQuery.

Download the latest jQuery release and add it to the page in question.

Use this page (http://docs.jquery.com/Effects) and an external JS file to create the desired animation.

Using absolute positioning you can actually make your logo float above the rest of your content without having it interfere.

I'm sure you already know how obtrusive it is to do something like this but you probably still want to do it for one reason or another so i wish you the best of luck, as for the jQuery call you're going to want to work with:

code:
$(document).ready(function(){
      $("#logo").animate({"top": "-=50px"}, "slow");
  });

Ultimately, this will move the DIV or SPAN with id LOGO 50px towards the top of the page. Adjust this accordingly.
   Index -> Web Design
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: