Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 The Paint Program Contest
Index -> Contests
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Sean

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:35 am   Post subject: Re: The Paint Program Contest

Reminder Any language is useable, any codes that you previously made are useable.
Anything that will benifit you will be allowed, but not stealing others code.

Mackenzie, I could use you as a judge then if you wish?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
McKenzie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:32 pm   Post subject: Re: The Paint Program Contest

If you get stuck marking them I can help you out but you will probably enjoy marking them whereas to me it's like work. I would suggest you use a marking/judging scheme so that everyone knows how they are being judged before they start. You can use mine, but keep in mind, mine is designed to help smooth out marks. How you design yours should reflect what you are trying to do. If you are trying to decide who's is the "best" mine won't do that.
Sean

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:00 pm   Post subject: Re: The Paint Program Contest

code:

Evaluation                  /60   
/5      Attractive Layout     - Laying out tools with reasonable proportions, having a nice title, things lined-up correctly, good colour choices ?.
/5      Select Tools  - The if structure in your program that know which tool is picked
/5      Stamps pictures       - Letting the user draw small bitmaps on the canvas. There should be at least 6 pictures, and ideally they should match some sort of theme.
/5      Comments      - Must have good head comments, explain important variables, explain what each function does, and explain what blocks of complicated code do.
/5      Division into functions       - The program must be divided up into functions, your mainline and each of your functions should each be no more than 50 lines.
/5      Load/Save     - Load the canvas from a bitmap file, Save canvas to a bitmap file. For full marks the user must enter the file names.
/5      Attention to Detail   - Does it seem professional? Does the user have to do things in the order that you want them to or can they just sit down and start using it? Are things properly clipped to the canvas? Does the way you use the left and right mouse buttons seem obvious? Do you give useful feedback, like which colour is currently selected, what pixel location the mouse is at aver the canvas?
/5      Freehand Draw - That pencil thing
/5      Basic shapes  - Box, Oval and line. For the basic version you can either click twice to define the dimensions or mousedown-move-mouseup to define the dimensions. Pre-viewing the shape as it is drawn takes some work and is 2 "extra" marks.
/5      Pick Colour   - Allow the user to select what colour the pencil and shapes are drawn in.
/10     Individual Features  - Marks based on how hard/useful e.g.
1-spray paint, 2-pre-view shapes, 2-paint bucket, 2-highlight selected tool?

This is the evaluation that we will be using, for a hard-copy reference download Mackenzie's submission on the first page and print it. We are using his evaluation, it basically had all I wanted.

~Thanks Mckenzie.
ericfourfour

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:07 pm   Post subject: RE:The Paint Program Contest

You might want to change the evaluation to a more informal one. Point it toward hobbyists instead of students.

For example, the "Division into functions" part makes sense until the end when it specifies a limit on their size.

Another one is the "Select Tools" part. Some people won't have an if structure to know which tool is picked. I know I would use object orientation and have currentTool object.

Some can be combined as well. "Comments" and "Division into functions" can be combined into "readability".
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:24 pm   Post subject: RE:The Paint Program Contest

also stamps weren't specified nor are really needed
Sean

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:10 pm   Post subject: Re: The Paint Program Contest

Its just a simple structure, I'll most likly change the evaluation, this is just one I am rolling with right now.
Sean

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:42 pm   Post subject: Re: The Paint Program Contest

Alright, the contest is still running, I really haven't been available to update the thread due to personal things. I am still accepting codes, so you got a bit of time left to submit those paint programs.
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 22 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: