Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 CSS Scrolling Inquiry
Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
ryankop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:46 pm   Post subject: CSS Scrolling Inquiry

Hey, I'm building my site here.. however I saw something really cool which was done on another site and I want to incorporate on my site. It's 2 things really. I looked at the site http://www.indigofield.com and if you use firefox or something and scroll down using the main scrollbar (may have to resize the screen smaller) an interior div container scrolls down not the whole site. Another cool thing is when it hits either the bottom or the top of the blog area the text fades. Anyone know how they did it?

Thanks

Ryan[/url]
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

actually the entire site does scroll, but the header and the footer are statically positioned to remain in place. The text fading is achieved with having a semi-transparent image overlayed in that area.

really nice layout, I like Smile
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
ryankop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yea I was assuming that also. Know the syntax to make a background to a div container stationary? Also think it'd be possible to make my navbar stationary too? I almost want only one part moving when it scrolls.
ryankop

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh woops, forgot to also ask. What'cha mean by semi-transparent? That I don't quite understand how that is done image-wise or css wise.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

from the site itself
code:

.headercontainer {
position: fixed;
display: block;
top: 0px;
margin: 0px;
padding: 0px;
width: 100%;
height: 50px;
z-index: 10;
}

the semi-transparent image is

http://www.indigofield.com/images/fade_out.png

basically just a png with transparancy turned on, and a layer solid colour set to be semi-translusent (different % will have different effects)
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
rdrake

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:32 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Very nice layout. Sadly it doesn't render nearly correctly in Internet Explorer. Not like anybody cares about IE anymore anyways Wink.
ryankop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hmm.. trying to implement something similar into this site of mine. Can't exactly get it to work though. I have the sidebar position's locked and working fine, the header/footer sort'of working (can't get the lines properly below or above them), also some difficulty with the text, since it goes past the footer, and I want it to be cut off past the footer. Does anyone wanna help me? If so, pm me.

Thanks a lot you guys!
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ryankop wrote:
some difficulty with the text, since it goes past the footer, and I want it to be cut off past the footer.

Place the footer lower. Anything pass the footer should be off the page.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ryankop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh gotcha gotcha. Some reason I can't auto margin it to the bottom though... so if I resize the window it auto margins left, right, and bottom. Weird. Also my lines are now all messed...
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: