Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Beta RTS in Progress
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jamonathin

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 6:59 pm   Post subject: Beta RTS in Progress

Hey all, this is the beggining to an RTS im makin.

What's kinda cool about it is there's some AI in there - where the units walk around bushes and water (most of the time . . retards) and that there is a, Lag-o-meter, where the units move faster according to the lag. The screen also moves faster with the lag.

Also in there is my simulation for the turrets, which I'll be puttin into the game eventually.
Enter - lay turret
Space - change turret
Arrows - move one red square (target)

Enjoy! Razz

unnamed.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  unnamed.zip
 Filesize:  309.65 KB
 Downloaded:  228 Time(s)

Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jamonathin

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

For Unnamed.exe
Use only the mouse like any other RTS - it exits when hasch

For Gun.t
Use arrows and keyboard

(just to clarify things Wink )

---------------------------------------------
This is a new version - try it if you want
---------------------------------------------

Click the option below then click the turret to lay.

unnamed.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  unnamed.zip
 Filesize:  436.54 KB
 Downloaded:  151 Time(s)

TheOneTrueGod

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Nice work man Very Happy

Ironically, i've been working on an RTS recently too Razz Mines more RPG ish than RTS ish, but still, if i'd have known you were working on one, we coulda done it together, and it would be all the sicker Exclamation

I don't know if your using it or not, but i've found that OOT makes stuff like this rediculously easy, because you just have to give the unit the order, and it'll go there on its own.

Whats the algorithm you used to determine movement around stuff? I'd love to incorporate that into my game too.

+Bits for an awesome job.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well in mine is a little different than your typical pathfinding. Normally what happens is, the unit hits the wall, then the computer calculates where he has to go, creating checkpoints for him.

What mine does is it hits the wall, then searches for the next available spot on the same plane the wall he hit. If there is no opening, it then searches the perpendicular plane for an opening.
Once it gets there, it then tries to move to its destination, and everytime it hits that wall, it restarts.

But rather than the guy bouncing back and forth off the wall in the same spots, i threw in there a checkpoint controller where it cannot go to any of the previous checkpoints - so it must try something else.

Another tid bit i put in was a change in x-y differences. Basically if it hits a wall to its right, it will go up until it finds the open spot, but then go perfectly horizontal until it reaches the same horizontal co-ordinate. This is why they slowdown when moving, I call it the ninja effect.

However it's not perfect (im still workin on it). Sometimes the guys will just give - something to work on. The main thing I was trying to accomplish was something of my own, and see how well it worked. I'd give it a 80% for pathfinding Razz.
NikG

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 12:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Whoa, nice job jamonathin. I'm particularly impressed with your multiple selection, but your pathfinding is cool too.

Haha, I've been working on a RTS too... for a little while actually.
I was hoping to make it my FP but, considering I don't get much time to work on it and considering how good yours is looking already, I'm not sure anymore.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 1:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

It's not easy, i'll tell you that much. but if you need any help, juss PM me and i'll help yas out Smile.
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Submissions
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 6 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: