Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 animated gifs?
Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Weapon X

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 12:45 am   Post subject: animated gifs?

hey guys, as u know had my first isu due in which i created a paint like program. even with the precautions someone made a program just like mine (but dont wrry because the students are marking eachothers and i had the original program, he will get low marks). so now tht thts over i will post my finished code as an example for other ppl interested Wink

ok, now i have the second isu coming up in which we have to make a game, i am thinking of making a zelda like game. i have some sprites and i have a couple of animated gifs. whn i instert the gifs they dont come up animated. so is there a way of having animated gifs in VB?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
cool dude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:39 am   Post subject: (No subject)

not sure if this is wat u want but i'm assuming u have a timer so just set timer to true in form load and it should start the animation just when the form loads
Weapon X

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:12 pm   Post subject: a little more detail plz

can u just explain it to me in a little bit more detail cause i m kind of a n00b at vb Razz . thanx
cool dude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 2:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

1) r u getting the gifs from a website?

2)where r u inserting the gifs? (i.e. function, formload)
please post that part of the code so i can tell u wats wrong with it. also i think that some gifs don't come out animated unless they're on the website. (Not sure though.)
HazySmoke)345

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm not sure what kind of game is "Zelda". I've only heard of it, but since VB is a slow language, it's not good at making action games. About the animated GIFs.... why don't you just create pictures for all the frames and put them together with a timer?
cool dude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

HazySmoke)345 wrote:
why don't you just create pictures for all the frames and put them together with a timer?

thats a good idea although i don't think it will work. the reason is if he got the animated gifs from a website he won't have multiple pictures of that animated gif, thus he won't have anything to change.

my suggestion is to make your own animated gif just by animating an object and putting it in a timer. animated gifs aren't hard to do and it would be easier than trying to insert one from a file or website! Smile
Weapon X

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:10 pm   Post subject: Info

cool dude i added u to my msn if u dont mind. also i just got a gif from the internet then i insterted the gif in a picture box.
cool dude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

k about your problem. the gif i think is animated on the website already so it won't be animated if u save it i think. either u get multiple pictures of the gig and then animated it by making a timer and changing the pictures watever interval (speed) u want. or u can make your own. if u really want to get multiple pictures of the gig u can just take a couple of screen shots and then in a paint program just cut out the background and then just change the picture every interval u want in the timer. i really don't think u can just save the gig and it will be saved as already animated. maybe "Tony" will know as i see he covers this forum
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
pavol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:43 am   Post subject: (No subject)

if you have corel draw (or one of the corel things) you can open the gif up in it and export it as an avi animation
Brightguy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:35 pm   Post subject: Re: animated gifs?

The standard VB Image / PictureBox controls do not support animated gifs. However, a very quick google search reveals other controls which have the ability to display animated gifs. (Alternatively, like suggested, you could write your our own simple control, using multiple images and a timer.)
cool dude

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:10 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

here is an example i saw on the internet

SoldierAnimation.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  SoldierAnimation.zip
 Filesize:  226.65 KB
 Downloaded:  154 Time(s)

Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: