Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 St. Clair or Fanshawe?
Index -> Student Life
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Which College is Better for Video Game Making?
(No ending time set)
Fanshawe College
88%
 88%  [ 8 ]
St. Clair College
11%
 11%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 9

jamonathin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:34 pm   Post subject: St. Clair or Fanshawe?

I know that most of you will probabily say, "screw college, go to Waterloo, obviously." Wull, I can't because my marks aren't good enough to do that, and I wouldn't have enough money to attend Waterloo. So here are Two links, and I wanan see what your opinion is. .

Fanshawe

St. Clair

And I know that this is the 01/02 Calender for St. Clair and they're not updated, which itself could be a sign. .

Also, I know I'm going to need to go to another type of school after college if I want to get into the Video Game Field. .
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

between the two Fanshawe appears to be a better option.

I don't know about your marks, but financing your way through Waterloo is not as difficult as you think due to the co-op system. OSAP lets you pay 4 years later with no interest.

I'm sure that you know that Martin is out for a year long work-term in Japan. And he just finished first year of computer science.
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

woot st.claire! go windsor, obvoiusly that is the better choice.. you get to study at a HUGE campus and you get AWESOME air quality too! yum, lol
codemage

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 2:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think Fanshawe has the better programming option. They also have better funding (therefore better facilities, etc) since their enrollment is about three times more than St.Claire.

As far as the host cities go, they're comparable. Both cities have universities, both are fairly scenic, London is bigger by 120,000 & closer to Toronto - Windsor is closer to the US border.

If you're specifically interested in game programming, hunt the web and/or talk to academic counsellors (at a college) to make sure you're making the right choices, especially concerning course selection.
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Is Fanshawe in Windsor? If so, I haven't heard of it, so I'll assume it's elsewhere. Chances are the differences between the educational quality of the colleges aren't as large as the lifestyle differences between the two -- if you go to St Clair, you'll probably be at home with your parents, paid for. If you go away, you are on your own, in a dorm, homesick. Of course, you're also free Very Happy I think that should be the deciding factor, really.

I mean, if you were choosing between Harvard or Windsor, that'd be different. But the difference between St. Clair and Fanshawe probably isn't humongous.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, Fanshawe's in London - and is corresponded to Western i believe, as is St. Clair to Windsor. The fact that it's in London makes no difference to me because my mother lives in St. Thomas (15 mins away) and My grandmother lives right in London. And that's actually where my brother is staying cuz he goes to Fanshawe too for HK. And right now, I live in windsor/amherstburg so St. Calir is no prob to get to.

Tony wrote:

I don't know about your marks, but financing your way through Waterloo is not as difficult as you think due to the co-op system. OSAP lets you pay 4 years later with no interest.

It's just the residence i think that would kill me. And to get into Waterloo University I'd need better than the 57 in ENG4U i got last year that I'm trying to improve this year (which makes me a super senior Head Bang . . yeah lol) but I don't even have enough U courses for UniV n e ways.

Fanshawe Does look like it would be a better than St. Clair, but I wasn't too shure. . i dunno, I'm still not shure yet.
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:41 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

jamonathin wrote:

It's just the residence i think that would kill me.

You mean like the all-male building i got stuck with in UWP?

(or are you referring to the price - OSAP gives more money if you live in rez)
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Mac has Software Engineering & Game Design. Smile
Do you have 78-80% average?
English
Calculus
Chemistry
Physics
Geometry and Discrete Math (recommended. May be exchanged for Data Management, Biology, or Earth and Space science)
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

lyam_kaskade wrote:

You mean like the all-male building i got stuck with in UWP?

See to me that shows that you don't do out enough; if you really wanted to find some girls you'd discover that it's really easy Razz
Notoroge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 6:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Funshawe, lol. Just apply for a BA at Waterloo. Minimum competing average is what, 75?
StarGateSG-1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 7:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Go to Durham or UOIT!

Durham has a programing course witha 70% avg in 6 courses one has to be english and one math the rest is up to you as long as they are all U or M courses and maybe C.

UOIT has a game design and entrapernership course, which same as above except for the C level courses.

There is another courses at UOIT but it is for people who wnat to be the boss of the programmers.

Theya re both in Oshawa.
jamonathin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:30 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Cervantes wrote:
Mac has Software Engineering & Game Design. Smile
Do you have 78-80% average?
English
Calculus
Chemistry
Physics
Geometry and Discrete Math (recommended. May be exchanged for Data Management, Biology, or Earth and Space science)

I have that average, thankfully im not that dumb, but I unfortionately don't have that Chem . . Puppy Dog Eyes

Notoroge wrote:
Funshawe, lol. Just apply for a BA at Waterloo. Minimum competing average is what, 75?

Yeah, that kinda goes with my "screw college, go to Waterloo" comment, i wish i could tho.

StarGateSG-1 wrote:

Theya re both in Oshawa.

That's pretty far, and there's to much crap I have to stick around with in the " windsor >= me <= oakville " area.

Thanks for your inputs guys, it looks like Funshawe's winnin it.
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:56 am   Post subject: (No subject)

CornFlake wrote:

See to me that shows that you don't do out enough; if you really wanted to find some girls you'd discover that it's really easy Razz

Oh don't get me wrong. I don't have much trouble meeting girls outside of my building (And dating someone that lives in the same place as me sounds like a bad idea anyway).
It would just be nice to have some variety, especially since I grew up with a multitude of sisters, so I'm used to it.

jamonathin wrote:

I have that average, thankfully im not that dumb, but I unfortionately don't have that Chem ..

Correspondence?
Actually I don't think the entrance requirements for Waterloo are much higher than that. It's gone down since the double cohort...
codemage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 8:41 am   Post subject: (No subject)

A lot of the colleges / universities hired on temp staff for the double cohort to increase enrollment (& ease the admission average), but the trend is reversing now that the brunt of the DC has passed.

Consequently, necessary averages are dropping, but not by a whole lot.
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I was studying in DC over the weekend and read an article in the UW newspaper that every girl who goes to UW will within a limited time get hit on by somewhat 4837 guys who thought they even remotely looked in their direction.
... I think WLU is a much better option for things like that.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 29 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: