Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Give me a reason to stay
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hexley is a duck-billed platypus.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hence my original confusion.
And my current stubbornness Very Happy
Notoroge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I guess the main reason why no one listens to you is because they don't know what Ruby is, and/or don't think it to be as "powerful" as other programming languages advertise (I disagree with that statement, btw).

I've actually been learning Perl. Awsome interpreted language, and I can use it for CGI programming later on. Laughing Although I have been learning Ruby on the site. (That 'Why' guy is one crazy weirdo). But yeah, there is a lack of interest. So my opinion? Make it interesting. Tell us why we should start off with console programming languages. Wink

Also, writing some nifty apps to show what these language can really do would give a type of "Surprised" factor that might just be the deciding push in making someone want to learn these.

In conclusion, if anything, you have a lot of work ahead of you, instead of just quiting and going "Screw it". Eh
Cervantes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:
In conclusion, if anything, you have a lot of work ahead of you, instead of just quiting and going "Screw it". Eh

No one's forcing him to do anything, of course. It's all "if he wants to".

Notoroge wrote:

Also, writing some nifty apps to show what these language can really do would give a type of "Surprised" factor that might just be the deciding push in making someone want to learn these.

I think this is a really good idea. The Ruby Source Code forum is so bare.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hey, ya... I remember that guy:
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

You see, the original reason why I wanted to start C++ was to help modify two of my more favourite games which are open-source in a manner of speaking. Now I just learned it since, well... that was my choice between Java, and C++ - I just wanted to learn something harder than Turing that I could then relate to other languages. It seems like I have somewhat succeeded, Turing introduced me (excluding my amazing BASIC knowledge), and now C++ is teaching me, if not how to create things with it, at least the basics of all programming languages. Personally, I think I made a good choice, and that if I want to switch to something else, Java, C#, even VB.NET, or a variety of others, it will be easier. I know anything would have contributed too, Ruby, Python, and others, but I'm content.

I totally agree with "Learn the most popular language and you'll be a little fish lost in a sea of sharks. Do something different and you can stand out and do something meaningful." If you simply want to be better than everyone else, do something where you don't have as much competition Very Happy. I think I will quote you on that one.

Seriously, I think you have contributed to this forum enough for 10 people. If you don't continue, the 'medium level' language section may well fall apart. Would you want all these future programmers only learning Turing? If you want, take a break, don't post as much, maybe others will smarten up. Either way, you should really just not pay attention to those who don't follow your advice, and then as for help when they fall.
Hope you make the right choice!
Notoroge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cervantes wrote:
Notoroge wrote:

No one's forcing him to do anything, of course. It's all "if he wants to".
I know. Just saying, there's more things you can do then just not doing anything. Confused

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
lyam_kaskade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 9:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:

(That 'Why' guy is one crazy weirdo)

Yes! Hex-editing reality to give us infinite grenades!

Anyway, if it helps, it was your posts wtd that made me decide to learn Ruby. And then when I realized how much easier a command line was (in Ruby, I had never used one in Turing, since there isn't one). Yeah that was pretty awesome.
I like the idea of showing different apps made with Ruby, even if it's not your own, it still gives a good impression of the extent of what can be done with Ruby. Many newer programmers don't really realize that almost all C++ programming can be done in Ruby (or another scripting language) within a fraction of the time.[/quote]
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What kind of app would pique your interest?

The primary reason I haven't is that I don't want to invest huge amounts of time in a single program, then have everyone look at it and say "meh".

That and I like to keep examples small. That means things remain approachable. I mean, there are so many cases where someone set out to modify some giant project, for instance, and realized they really have no idea and are in over there head.

I don't want to do that to people. I don't want to get so fancy so fast that it scares people away.

That's why I hate C++ as a teaching language, for what it's worth. To understand "hello world" you have to understand preprocessor includes, namespaces, functions, types, objects, and operator overoading. That's a few semesters worth of classes at a college, just to understand the frickin' "hello world" program.

Ruby:
puts "Hello world"

Python:
print "Hello world"

Perl:
print "Hello world\n";

Ocaml:
print_endline "Hello world"
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:36 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Your right; when just learning C++ is usually WAY too much to get a grasp of at once. It isn't that bad if you start learning it after already knowing how to use functions and function overloading and structures. So really we need to be pushing people to learn something that does that. I personally learned pascal first, it's easy to learn yet very powerful at the same time; and you can just point the compiler at your mail file and it will get the rest on it's own.

Example pascal "Hello World" for wtd's list:
Pascal:

program HelloWorld;
begin
    writeln('Hello World');
end.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 9:37 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Well, technically, you don't need the carriage return at the end of the "print" statement in perl. 8)
If you want to see something neat, go here:
http://www.roesler-ac.de/wolfram/hello.htm
Laughing
And this: http://www.defectiveyeti.com/archives/000494.html
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 12:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wtd wrote:
Learn the most popular language and you'll be a little fish lost in a sea of sharks. Do something different and you can stand out and do something meaningful.

I'm sure I've said this before, but wtd's insparation to get me to learn Ruby -- I've got my first co-op job doing just that. And I absolutly loved it! It's interesting because as far as I understand.. out of all the applications, I was the only one with "Ruby" on my resume. They weren't even looking for a first-year student, and I still was the first pick for them. Thx wtd Very Happy

Come on guys -- China and India are learning C++ and Java now. That's 2 billion people you'll be in competition with Confused

wtd -- you should stay because.. we love you Heart
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Notoroge wrote:
Well, technically, you don't need the carriage return at the end of the "print" statement in perl.

You do if you want it to behave like all of the other examples I gave. Smile

The thing that's technically not necessary is the semi-colon at the end of the line. Perl technically only uses the semi-colon as a statement/expression separator, not a terminator.
Martin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 2:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I think with V3 we'll have the tutorial thing streamlined more so that people can comment on tutorials without them feeling like they are in some way ruining the post.
Notoroge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

In v3, ther eshould be a WIKI system implemented for various languages. That way the forums can be left for discussions. Wink
wtd

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The problem is that no good tutorial is a dead document. They grow and evolve with discussion. Discussion doesn't ruin... it enriches a tutorial.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 33 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: