Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Computer programmer...Software Engineer...whats the diff???
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Andy

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

se is mostly design, alot of pseudo code and crap, i'd kill myself if i did it
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
If you want to spend less money on tuition, go into software engineering. Actually, if you want to spend less money on tuition, go into anything except for computer science...the only program that pays more than us is pre-optometry.

That is not true at all unis, since the goverment got ride of tution conrtonl on some progames some less ethical uni's have started chagering more and more for thess progames, but not all unis are evil and only think about money. For example at lakehead most of the progames are the same cost other then a few odd ones witch are a 1000 or 2000 more.

Cornflake wrote:

Another nice thing about taking math (CS), that the engineers seem to forget about is that you have a LOT more electives, and their real electives, not your choice of these three engineer-directed "electives". You wanna take some econ, sure! Poly-sci? No problem! Physics... *shudders* well, there's something wrong with you, but you could do that too...

Again this is not true at all uni, lakehead lets CS students spshalize right away so you aucatly do not get any electives intill 3rd year.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Martin

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Waterloo also lets students specialize, but they don't have to.
md

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 9:44 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If you choose to specialize, that's your choice. You also have the choice to take many different ellectives. It's all about the choices...

And I think tuition for CS may not actually be teh highest... I think one of the engineering programs is; but they're pretty damn close. Tuition is absurd...
wtd

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 10:27 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Andy wrote:
se is mostly design, alot of pseudo code and crap, i'd kill myself if i did it

Yes, UML hasa way of making people want to do that.
JackTruong

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 5:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

In my opinion, CS is slightly more theoretical and SE is slightly more practical.

I'm planning to enter SE because it sounds cooler to be an engineer than a scientist.
md

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 7:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

JackTruong wrote:
In my opinion, CS is slightly more theoretical and SE is slightly more practical.

I'm planning to enter SE because it sounds cooler to be an engineer than a scientist.

I'd say the exact opposite, first semester in CS you start programming right away, and as you progress you do more and more practical stuff. You do learn theory, but there is lots of practical things too. For instance in CS241 (introduction to structured languages; basically intro to compilers) you learn the theory behind something in your lectures, then you have to go put that theory to use writing an assigment. The same is true for most, if not all, other courses. Lots of theory sure, but you have to put that theory to work too.
Martin

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 11:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Software engineers are in the great position where they get laughed at by the engineers for not being real engineers, and laughed at by the cs'ers for not being real programmers.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

and they get laughed at by all the uni students cuz they have no girls
md

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Who get's laughed at for not getting girls? Certainly not CS students, because then I'd be some kind of freak CS student, well more then I already am Razz
Andy

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i was talkin about se...
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 26 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: