Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What my new Chat App Hopefully Looks like (Imagination).
Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> The Showroom
Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
templest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:49 pm   Post subject: What my new Chat App Hopefully Looks like (Imagination).

Don't think I actually coded something that looks like this ( ..yet). Wink My new chat app is written in C#, and after spending about three hours tweaking out the protocol, I started thinking about what I'm going to make it look like.
This is what I've come up with so far; if you guess what other app I got my inspiration from, you get 2 bits. Razz
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
PS: We need larger upload quotas.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

MSN? Hahahahaha.... *hides*
templest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Paul wrote:
MSN? Hahahahaha.... *hides*
Ew.. You deserve minus bits.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 4:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

wow, how did you had 250% of your upload quota filled? Confused eh... fixed

umm... I personally don't like all that extra blank space under the text. Could get annoying since text will be scrolling so much faster
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Amailer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thats like AIM on the mac...(a very like like...)
templest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
wow, how did you had 250% of your upload quota filled? Confused eh... fixed

tony (Sun Jun 27, 2004 10:00 pm) wrote:
i upped your space from 2 to 5mb cuz you almost filled it up.

if you need more though, just msg - if it's a reasonable request, I'll try to accommodate

Wink

EDIT: What I would do is make those big green arrows scroll through individual messages (instead of just lines), and if a message is too big to fit on the screen, you can either make the window larger or a pair of smaller scroll arrows would appear to scroll through the message instead of flipping to another.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I ment the message bubble as it is can hold 4 lines of text, but it is only occupied by 2, one being username anyways.. I see that as a waste of space.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
templest

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:55 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Meh, It's not like that's exactly what it would look like. Just some concept designs.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:58 am   Post subject: (No subject)

looks good
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:53 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Looks *VERY* good from an aesthetic point of view, but I've seen too many cases where an ambitious project dies before it's ever born because it's creator starts thinking about the extras (pretty GUI layouts and text scrolling) before the essential stuff (the communication protocol).

If this takes off though, awesome-ness Smile Release the source so I can compile it on Linux too!
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:35 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Psst! He already did the protocol.
templest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I have the chat protocol down. But I'm thinking of re-writing a good portion of it. You see, I've been experimenting with P2P file transfer lately, and I want to see if I could apply the same principle to make a decentralized chat protocol. This would obviously help the project grow, because, for one, I wouldn't / couldn't have a server running 24/7 and making anything like Hotline (ie: Private Servers) is bound for destruction. But I could instead have everything managed off a database on my web-server and try to take the load off the server some, since then the only reason a server would be necessary would be to track IPs, connections, and accounts. But not actually manage those connections (ie: the server would not be a relay for all messages / transfers).

As it stands so far, the environment is pretty much the same as the Turing version but written in a better language, with more, er, clean code. This is good for private servers, but like said, this isn't my main goal. Anyways, I'm getting to ahead of myself. First thing's first, decentralize the network. Smile I also want to get good encryption in there, but that's not essential to a project that's barely even started. I'm GPLing it btw. Razz
Mazer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Are you already set on the colour scheme? The bubbles seem... interesting, but I don't know if I like the blue/orange. Maybe if they were lighter?
templest

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I was thinking of rendering in a fcuk load of shades and making a color wheel in a menu somewhere where you could pick your colours.
Cervantes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:01 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Bah! Colours aren't what matters here. What matters is being able to see a good chunck of the conversation at any time. Having so much space used for colours limits the amount of the conversatoin that you can see.
But if you must have these fancy colours, I'd go with a light blue colour, for both, like compsci.ca.
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> The Showroom
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 2  [ 18 Posts ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: