Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Computer Science Programs
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
JayLo

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

LOL that was you at the queen's table? wow. small world.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Here is my advice for everyone: look into alternatives. Waterloo isn't the be all and end all of the computer world. The entire Canadian software industry isn't, believe it or not, fueled by UW grads. Now, I'm not saying that UW is a bad place to go to school, rather I am saying to consider alternatives.

Also, computer science isn't the only program out there that you will program in. Jobs are getting outsourced as we speak; the marketplace is the most competitive that it has ever been. Now, that's not to say that you won't get a job, but rather that it will be more difficult to find one. To succeed, find something that you enjoy, because unless you enjoy what you are doing, you will be at a competitive disadvantage to the rest of the world.

No program, in any university, is a guarenteed path to richness.

Make sure that your choice in universities is well informed, and that you consider many other alternatives.
mynameisbob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Does anyone know anything about the computer engineering program at waterloo? Do you have to know a lot of programming because I will only have up to grade 11 programming when I graduate. My school doesnt offer gr 12 cs.
And also about all this math stuff, do you guys do extra stuff like read math books and them quiz type thingies on your spare time or do you just do the regualr math at school? if you do pls post sites or books u use so i can read them too.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

You don't need to know anything to go into university. Then again, nobody cares that you got into university, but that you stayed in (and finished) university.

So no, programming is not a prerequisite as long as you are willing to devote time to learn.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The difs in unis in canada is very small comapers to the U.S. where they have perivate unis. So basiclky as long as they have your progame and are going to have it for the time u are going to be there and there phicilitys are good then it will be a good uni for you. Also if the proofs are good, but most real unis are going to have good proofs or they whould not be able to give out real degerags.

what realy matters in the work world for compsci, like martin was geting at is 1. that you graduate and 2. that you have work excpeicen.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Indeed. Work experience is critical. Go to a school with a good co-op program. If you can get in a year or two worth of intern experience you can list that when jobs require "3 years of prior experience."

Such jobs are otherwise inaccessible coming straight out of school.
Genesis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

mynameisbob wrote:
And also about all this math stuff, do you guys do extra stuff like read math books and them quiz type thingies on your spare time or do you just do the regualr math at school? if you do pls post sites or books u use so i can read them too.

Not necessarily. All you need to get in are high marks in math, nobody cares what else you may know. Although I do teach myself things on the side if I'm ineterested enough.

Computer Engineering at Waterloo is from what I've seen, tough to get into. But like Martin said, programming is not a prerequisite for the exact reason that not all schools offer it.

But if you're going into Computer Science, I would imagine you may wanna know how to program in something other than Turing.

Also for UW, the Euclid and the CCC help.
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 12:22 am   Post subject: (No subject)

You don't "have" to do anything. A lot of people in math do read math books on the side, not because they have to, but because they enjoy it.

That's the thing about university that very few people realize. They think: university is a 4 year extension of highschool after which you get a high paying job.

To a lot of people, in university, there are a lot of questions that they should have answers for, but don't.

Why are you in this program, instead of another program somewhere else?
What else did you consider?
Do you enjoy what you are doing?

To a lot of people, this seems like a strange question. Sure, you like programming, you have good math marks, and tech stuff is so cool and you like video games, so why not go into CS? The competition is fierce. There are people here that have been using straight BSD since they were 5 years old. I consider myself a pretty big geek, but I hear jokes that go WAY over my head.

Keep in mind that CS can just be a hobby! If you love something, and are willing to work hard at it, you can get a job making a lot of money just about anywhere. Do what you love, you only live once.

Now, that's not to say that you shouldn't go into CS, but do yourself a favour, and go to a comprehensive university's website (I suggest U of T's) and read through all of the course descriptions one afternoon. And I don't just mean "X Engineering" Look at the engineering and math courses sure, but take an hour or two out of your day to explore the arts courses, and the science courses. Keep an open mind, and try to figure out what it is that YOU want to do, not what you think that society wants you to do. At the very worst, you'll have a broader understanding of what is offered. And I guarentee you will find courses that you think are both interesting, and that you didn't know existed.

Just make the most out of your lives.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:03 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i'm an engineer Laughing

well not yet... soon enough after I graduate Wink

but Martin has a good point - do what you enjoy doing. Do something that you're interested in, not because somebody told you "oh, you can draw well in turing - you should become a programmer". That's a no! That is not the proper reason. Ask yourself - "would I be doing programming if I was not paid for it?" if so, CS is the place to be Very Happy

besides, I'm not sure about other universities, but here at Waterloo you can take CS as a minor with almost any program.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Pickles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 6:50 pm   Post subject: my thoughts

Seeing as how im only in grade 12, the only things i know about are things ive been told.

Ie. there isnt really a bad school to go to in ontario, as they are all watched by some board, so go where you feel comfortable, where you like the surroundings. because if you like where you are you'll do better than if you hate it.

Alot of the marks have dropped now that the double cohort is over, ie the info book has waterloo as "individual selection from the mid 80's" and what not.. or in my case, civil engineering - low 80's hoorah. Not saying that thats guaranteed but its a good guideline i suppose.

Mechatronics did look like an interesting program, you can go into it in other universities but you go through the common engineering - common mechanical engineering - then branch off into it..

probably should pay more attention to what the fellows already in university say, cause hey what do i know.
Genesis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Individual selection from the mid-80's won't mean much when 4000 kids with marks in the mid-90's apply. I'd say your better off aiming way above those averages.
Pickles

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thats not the pickles way, bare minimum is the way to be Wink
Genesis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The bare minimums may not get you into Waterloo. (Not that I'm an expert, but think of all the people that apply there. And then think of how many spaces are available. I'm sure you can do the math.)
McKenzie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:20 pm   Post subject: Re: my thoughts

Pickles wrote:
there isnt really a bad school to go to in ontario

Yes and no.
There are three things to look at.
1. How good is program X at school Y.
Some schools who's diplomas are handed out in bathroom stalls for the most part have a few programs that are top notch. Just because Queens is seen as an "ivy-league" school doesn't mean all of their programs are good. Reverse goes for Lakehead as Dan pointed out.
2. How well do employers view the school. Often times the overall reputation of the school or old info is still in employer's heads. This can become a problem for employment.
3. How much will you enjoy the school. I've seen too many A students go off to university and find they could not handle the social setting. For this you have to know yourself.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

My overall final average was 71%, and I got into the advanced classes and an (albet small) scholarship.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 5  [ 66 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: