Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 New Design for My Website
Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> The Showroom
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
JHanson90

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:00 pm   Post subject: New Design for My Website

I wasn't sure if I should put this in here or in another category, but I want to make a new design for my website that makes better usage of graphics. I'm making the template in Photoshop. I wanna know if it's any good and how it could be improved. I asked my friend who's excellent with Photoshop, and he didn't like it. He's a minimilist though...

Here's the URL: http://www.jhanson90.jktf.com/newjwd-preview.html

EDIT: The bad rendition of a planet will be changed to be made better, it's just temporary for now.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Genesis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't really think that the colours go together all that well. Especially that "Navigation" text. But it's a good start.

This is a web template that I'm kinda workin' on now, whenever I get around to it. It's nowhere near being done, just a basic idea. I made it all in photoshop, from scratch. (Any ideas or tips would be appreciated as well.)

Layout In Progress.jpg
 Description:
Website layout.
 Filesize:  120.46 KB
 Viewed:  7104 Time(s)

Layout In Progress.jpg

Amailer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Lets put this int he Showroom section Smile
Moved from: 2D

As for your layout (JHanson90), well it really need to be changed.
Don't use a Gradient background, if you are using 1, make it.. blend in more (or like, mixed um you know what i mean? Black and white stand out to much).

Also, for your side menu, well it has to fit in with the rest of the site. Try and first pick 3 main colours, then work with that for the rest of your site, also try and not over use graphics espeically if you are planning on having many people visiting it-- some people have slow connections Smile (tho, tons of site have only graphics as their layout Smile).

Try and make it so that you layout allows you to display your information, and allows the user to navagate through the site easily Smile.

Genesis: I think your layout is looking good, tho Im not sure, but i think you should have.. a background-- i don't know why it seems very empty asif it's full of gaps, but i think it's pretty good.

What's that box below the header for?

P.S For really..good constructive criticism go here Rolling Eyes
Genesis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Oh ya, mine definatley needs some sort of background. As for the gaps and such, the background should help, and I plan on adding in a few more random interface objects, maybe a few more of those hose things, or whatever else I can come up with. That big white gap in between the header will also be filled with some image. Probly just something absrtact that I'll make in 3Ds max and PS.

That thing below the header is for anything really. I just thought it would be cool to have a little lcd display type thing there to scroll some text. I also plan to make that look like it's connected, as if part of the interface, as opposed to just kinda floating there on it's own.

Maybe I'll do some work on it tonite and post an updated version sometime soon.
the_short1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

so tahts the real trick to making a dope webpage.. make a nice template in ps or w/e.. then just put text over it in places... Doh!

anyways... genesis.. wow...thats all i can say.... except maybe connect that little text screen like u said... with wires... and other various things so its all conneccted... what otehr colors are u plannng on using? or any?

other guy... . black and white is kidna overused these days... maybe choose some better colors to go with...
Genesis

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Thanks. As for the colours, other than the blacks/whites/greys, I plan on using blue(s). From what I've been just messing around with, blue seems to go nicely with the rest of the template. (Any other colour suggestions I should try out though?)
JHanson90

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm not really taking people with dial-up into account. They've been waiting a while for other websites to download, surely they can wait for mine.

Well this is my first time trying to make a template in PS. I do agree about the navigation text, doesn't look good. For the gradient background, I still want to use one to make it interesting, but I want to change the color to [dark] blue. Think it's a good idea, or should I come up with another bg?

How is black and white overused? I don't see too many black and white sites, except maybe on Geocities :S
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Check out
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

see the background? if you wanna use a gradient bg then try making it something like that
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
JHanson90

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'm not that good with gradients; how would I do that?
Genesis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:23 am   Post subject: (No subject)

If we're just talking about that little grey patch at the top there (which is the only gradient I see, but correct me if I'm wrong) then it's pretty simple.

Just activate the gradient tool, set the foreground colour to grey (That site looks like they use 229,229,229.) Then change the gradient tool to "Forground to Transparent" by clicking on the arrow beside the little preview box in the top gradient tool bar. Make sure it is set to "Linear Gradient" and drag a radius however big you want from the top of the page.
Amailer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:27 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Actually i was talking about the background, it looks simple and nice
http://www.mozilla.org/images/body_back.gif
And you could do something like the header they have--- Genesis explained it Smile
Genesis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I explained how to do that background. If you follow those instructions it should turn out exactly the same. But if you'd like me to explain the header part too I could do that too.
Amailer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Eh ic, lol woops. hehe but that's what i was taking about Razz
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> The Showroom
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: