Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Best First Person Shooter
Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

What is the best first person shooter?
(No ending time set)
Half-Life
25%
 25%  [ 33 ]
Quake
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Doom
3%
 3%  [ 4 ]
Unreal/Unreal Tournament
7%
 7%  [ 9 ]
Rainbow Six
6%
 6%  [ 8 ]
No One Lives Forever
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Halo
18%
 18%  [ 24 ]
Time Splitters
4%
 4%  [ 6 ]
Far Cry
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Alien vs. Predator
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Other (specify)
25%
 25%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 128

TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:52 am   Post subject: (No subject)

No, I meant wolfenstein 3d.

Wolfenstein 3d, and ROTT were both built along the same lines. All levels were composed of bricks (like cubes) and you had to navigate around them. The enemies were 8 (or less) pictures (for rotation) and a few for death.

However, ROTT introduced the concept of height. you couldn't jump or duck, but you could climb stairs.

It wasn't anything amazing, but you could easily build a random map generator.

Doom and Duke Nukem 3D introduced actual 3D levels. You could have angular walls, large organic-ish structures, and a more 'realistic' level. However, in Doom, you were still constrained to 2 dimentions (I think).

Around this time, Quake was released. Quake was the first fully 3D game. You had 3D monsters, 3D Maps (not blocks) and moving doors. I think this was the building block of all games to come. Alot of the cheat codes (console commands) originated in Quake, and have not changed much since. (i.e. sv_gravity 400).

A good indicator of a games heritage is to look at the gibs. By playing Deus Ex, you can clearly see (after rocketing someone) that the game was based upon the unreal engine.

Also all of the Quake 3 'Mods' (retail games with the same engine) boot up the same way. I remember playing Quake 3 once, and finding MoHAA in the mods menu. ^_^;

I know, I'm a geek.

-Z
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Doom and Doom 2 both used a more advanced raycasting algorithm, so it was only simulated 3d.
the_short1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

and doom2 had better graphcis then doom 1... . but both FAR exceeded wold 3d...
yea.. i have quake1 i downloaded off kazaa lite a while back... it has a dos quake.. and a windows 3d quake .,. which runs a lto slower due to the crzy graphics.. was gl quake included with original game ? or did the person who made that game pack just include it himself>?/

if anyones interested.. i foupnd a torrent that is Doom 1 and 2 but modernized.. with real 3d graphics.... pm me if u want it., its like 500MB when downloaded...
MyPistolsIn3D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Cmon, timesplitters 2 guys. That game is awsome. Better than all those others.
Flea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Rise of the Triad was the best Doom wannabe EVER. '95! U should read up on it if u never heard of it, maybe. It was a great game.

But UT is still #1 overall for me. Q3 couldnt touch it, Halo was close but not quite there. Ut's not relaxing at all, which is why its so fun.

Edit: HOLY SHIT!!! SOMEONE MENTINED ROTT!!! GOOD JOB BUNNY! Man, Im surprised. I thought nobody else played that game. Very Happy
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 9:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

About 7 years ago, I bought it online (from 3D Realms) for $60.

6 weeks later, the game was released for free in the x-mas edition of PC Gamer.

Thats how I remembered it.

And for those who don't know...

They also had some nice easter-eggs. i.e. diffrerent music on holidays, different pictures, and different pictures.

Also, the whole game wasn't meant to be taken seriously. One of the characters you could be had the name 'Ian Paul Freeley'. Boy, was that joke old.

Another hidden name? The 3rd boss. A metal garbage can with a dozen rocket launchers. He was the 'Nasty Metallic Enforcer' (The NME - get it?)

I still remember that game well. I've been trying to find the music from that game (not in MIDI format). Having fun still listening to that.

Wrote my first web page with some of that music in the background ^_^.

-Z
Flea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Quote:
Another hidden name? The 3rd boss. A metal garbage can with a dozen rocket launchers. He was the 'Nasty Metallic Enforcer' (The NME - get it?)

he was stephen hawkings in the wheelchair wasnt he? the last boss was a giant exploding head slash snake thing, who had larvae everywhere.

yep, ROTT had funny stuff alright. Shrooms mode (a power-down where it looks like ur trippin out), dog mode (where you turn into an invincible dog. the dog digitized from one of the producers actual pets. you got smaller, too!), god mode (you became 10 times bigger than normal and anything you saw instantly died). cant forget the ultrabat (same story for the bat as the dog).

I loved luring bad guys into those spinning blades.

Yep, my issue was from a friends pc gamer mag. even doom producers played this game a lot for a while.

Other games haev had funny stuff as well, though. I mean half-life had some good comic relief for the first bit of the game. New games just dont have as many easter eggs though, which is a totally good reason that ROTT is right up there in my mind, though the point of a general FPS is to kill stuff after all. And thats why UT gets my vote.
TheZsterBunny

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The second boss was the wheelchair dude. that was not stephen hawking, but one of the producers in an armchair.

Nowadays, games take years to produce (HL2, Doom3, DNF), but looking back on this one...

*a-hem* The game looks like it was produced with a 500$ budget in 3 weeks. and most of the budget was spent on beer. It was full of corny easter-eggs, poor graphics, and was loved by many.

*sigh* those were the days.

-Z

http://www.classicgaming.com/rott/hell/
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
the_short1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 6:03 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I still like doom2, and im liking the ideas of ROTT!

anyone wana have a game ? is their network support (IP) or anything liek that:??? i read their was lan support.. but idk about the ip..

pm me if u got game... (looking for full version now.....)
templest

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:05 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Doom3, CounterStrike: Source, Half-Life: 2, Day of Defeat (And Source, when it's released), and Q3A. Smile
the_short1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 9:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok hey all u guys.... i played ROTT A little.. and its a pretty good game.. comparable to doom2.., the gameplay is a bit better in doom2.. but this is just FUNNER.,. also this has crapier stairs and graphics.. but o well.. the FUN factor is GREAT./.. ik really liked the bouncies.. thats a big change from the almost always staying on ground doom2 ..

http://66.90.75.92/suprnova//torrents/2833/Rise_of_the_Triad___Powerpack_Addon.torrent
http://66.90.75.92/suprnova//torrents/2988/_DC__Rise_of_the_Triad__ROTTDC___Kikoken_SB_-rar.torrent

i downloaded and used the frist one.. but its slow .. .the second one has much more seeders but just was released a little whiel ago..

ENJOY.. and let the ROTT feest begin..
betaflye

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Half-Life. Day Of Defeat was awesome in the day. I'd get Half-Life 2 if I still played games, just for Day of Defeat Source. Hmm, maybe that isn't a bad idea.
axej

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 5:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

pariah dissappointed me so much Sad
i was so lucky my dad forced me to not preorder it.
halo 2 wasn't that great either.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 9:19 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

...look at the date...
IMHO (not really the 'h' part) Halo stinks, HL2 smells, and CS isn't worth playing (those are in polite terms Very Happy).

I would put Wolfenstein Enemy Territory, but I guess I'll go with FarCry. That game had an alright storyline, nice gameplay, and sweet graphics - should really get more recognition.
BenLi

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Nobody here likes Socom?

I like ghost recon, if it were not for the studpid AI team, i've shot my own so many times b ecause they waltz into my line of fire
   Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 7  [ 91 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: