Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 RPG
Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 5:15 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Dark Matter : go to your profile and at the very bottom input the absolute (http://..) path to your avatar.

As for a gave dev project - sounds awesome, but from my personaly experience you're much better off if the team atleast meets (if not works) together in person. Also everybody has to be actually interested in doing their part.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 9:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony and I could work on CS projects in waterloo Wink
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

sounds like a plan bugz Very Happy actually I hear that Darkness might join us there as well Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dark Matter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 3:47 pm   Post subject: Duh iam a stopid

Oh right, I forgot. This is a Canadian site, so most people here would be Canadian anyway, probably from somewhere in Ontario. This might be easier than I thought.

Great, so if you guys are at Waterloo, maybe I can get something organized at Sheridan, meet up with you, and, uh, that's really all I can think of right now. Peace.

One more thing. I've asked people this question dozens of times, and I can never get a straight answer: What makes an RPG different from any action/adventure game?

One question: I'm curious about user groups. If we all got something started together, could we create an exclusive user group on the site for posting graphics, status reports, code, etc? Is there a storage limit?

PS: How do you like my Avatar
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:07 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Dark Matter : then we'll talk in september Laughing

and yes, we could create an exclusive usergroup for the devTeam... we already did this before actually.

as for the RPG being different from action/adventure... I guess it would be role playing Laughing I donno... Confused
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 5:43 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

so many ppl are taking CS at waterloo... i am sure we can get a team of hundreds if we really wanted Wink
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 7:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

tony wrote:
as for the RPG being different from action/adventure... I guess it would be role playing Laughing I donno... Confused

I think the only RPGs that actually involve role playing are the kind that consist of pen & paper, some cheetos, a table, and more nerds than you could shake a stick of deodorant at. Laughing
But, alas, I'm spamming now. Tony, we should have a section for talking specifically about game/program design. I have lots of bitching to take care of. Twisted Evil
Dark Matter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:32 am   Post subject: Awesome

Great! As soon as my exams are done, I'll get started on teaching myself game programming, lots of drawing, and 3D graphics. So, anyone got an idea planned for the game in question? Fantasy, SciFi, Ninjas, Freeroaming......?

PS: How long a drive from Toronto is Waterloo?

Man, I am soooo excited.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 3:48 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

first of all, nobody is starting any projects as far as I know... secondly, its not going to work if you dont have any experience. you gotta have programmed (alone) before you get into team devs...
Dark Matter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 4:12 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I do have some experience, but not enough so I could start a project on my own. But with a little more reading I'm sure it could work. I'd probably be doing graphics mostly, anyway. I use a mac, not a PC. The file format would be different, my compiler isn't the same as yours (although that shouldn't matter), and I've been told it doesn't support DirectX. Then again, like I said, I can always get Virtual PC, MS Visual Studio or some other compiler, maybe that free one that was mentioned in some other thread, I forget its name, and download DirectX. Then, anything I'm working on in XCode I can just copy and paste, change the file format, and rework the syntax so it uses DirectX instead of OpenGL (but then I'd have to learn OpenGL too---maybe it would just be easier to use VPC directly).

Unfortunately, Virtual PC and Windows would put a big hole in my wallet, and I just spent a couple of thousand on my mac. So, here's an alternate solution that I'd much rather do:
As far as I know, Linux is free. There is a version for the mac called Yellow Dog Linux. Since all versions are based on the same "Kernel", anything I do on Yellow Dog should be compatible with Red Hat, SUSE, etc. So, now I have a question for Darkness: Is there a version of DirectX for Linux? Because if so, then I wouldn't need VPC or some crap like that. After all, Linux is ideal for coding. So PLEASE, ANYONE WHO HAS DONE GAMES ON LINUX, let me know.

Now be honest.....am I the only one here using a mac?
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2004 11:46 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well I think that most of us who are into 3D prefer to use OpenGL anyways (maybe Thinking)

drive from T.O. to waterloo really depends on how fast you're going. It takes 1.5 hours for my mom and 40 minutes for one of my friends.

umm... yeah... I'm getting back to the game projects idea in september, I'm hoping of doing something more fun this summer Thinking
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 7:57 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i think university is going to be wee busy... but we shall see
Dark Matter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 3:16 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Alright. So, like I said, I'm probably going to be doing graphics mostly, because: I know DirectX, not OpenGL
The computer I'm using doesn't support DirectX

However, I'll start learning OpenGL, see if I can catch on with my DirectX experience. I'll also try to find out if Yellow Dog Linux has DX support, and maybe look into Virtual PC. I'll keep you posted. Please state your operating system.

So basically, my whole summer's going to be drawing, 3D modelling and animating, coding, reading, and playing guitar. Sounds fun.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2004 11:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

There are several distributions of Linux for the Mac. Yelow Dog is certainly high on the list, but Mandrake, Gentoo, and several others also ship PowerPC versions.

Your compiler is just GCC under the surface (an Apple and IBM optimized version of GCC, but GCC nonetheless). If the others are using GCC, either via MingW (Dev-Cpp) or otherwise, then your code should compile cleanly on either if you use cross-platform libraries (OpenGL).
   Index -> Programming, C++ -> C++ Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 29 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: