Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 jokes
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 7:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bugzpodder wrote:
how about a for loop? how about a recursive call??
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halting_problem

well if the for loops conditon is unreaable by the 3rd fact ie:

for(int i = 0; i == -1; i++)

then it is an inf loop

or if the for loop is

for(;Wink

it is a inf loop.

i am just saying it is posable to tell in some cases.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Delos

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 4:20 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Let's see if I remember this...no I don't. Damn. Ah well, the proof is based on a few things:

- for the proggie to tell whether the test proggie will halt, it has to either analyse the lines or run portions of them.
- if a proggie theoretically is able to test for halting, then the proof says to copy that proggie, change a few things, then run the original on itself, or something to that effect...and it will not spot/find the halting. It made sense when they were explaining it (where 'they' == a prof. from UofT speaking about some CompSci related issue [Computing Insights 2003]).
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

that guy with a funny accent?? yeah I was there.... wasted a thousand bucks... could've used a new computer instead. if you still have the collection of photos, go through it and find the one that you cant make out, and that would be me. (maybe that isnt even a picture of me Wink Laughing )
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 18 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: