Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 soup up internet
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
roer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Thats because the upload for Rogers is only set at 392 KB/s which is 49 kb/s. Unless you want to uncap your modem then get Bell Sympatico if you need the upload speed
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
gamer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 11:50 am   Post subject: (No subject)

which one is better? bell or rogers??
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well i like bell better b/c it is DSL tecnogly rather then cable. also bell just upgraded there serices so they now can go up to 3mbs on noraml HSE plan.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
the_short1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ehhehe.... ROER u got it A$$ backwards....

KB is the amount in DATA transfer... and is SMALLER then Kb....

EG. my internet bandwidth is 1800 Kb ... but in acuall DOWNLOAD speed its like 250 KB Wink

i got SHAW... and its VDG!!! (VERY DAM GOOD)

my friend with a good comp and shaw.... he downloads at like 400 KB a sec..... i have a slow comp so i only get 250 Sad
josh

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:04 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

also you should call rogers about getting a new box. I had the motoraolla one (it also said shockwave) and when i calld them about my connection being to slow they gave me a new box for free that is way faster, and i hjavent had n e problems with it. Very Happy

also while we are on the subject of internet connections I have a D-Link Wirless networks, the router is one level lower than my comp, and I often have problems where I loose the signal and get it back again (but this messes up my msn). Also someytime when I hyave a signal it still says the "this page can not be displyed" thing when I open up IE.

Ne one have n e sugestion????
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:30 am   Post subject: (No subject)

you could make your self a new antent for it.

it is not hard at all, u just need a coffien can, a coper wire, some coxaial cable, an n type female chaise mounted conector and the right conecors for your router.

also u can make somting out of meatl that will defeted the radio waves in the right direction. should be shaped so that the waves are all defeted towors the curent antenat like a statilet dish.

some places also sell wifi bosters for some routers and better anetants witch is costly but can be effective. you may also consider geting at better wifi card or router that has a beter gain.

a big thing is placement tho. if it is going throw cenment or metal walls it can be poorly effected.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
josh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thanx for the suggestions. I just moved my pc today and so far I have not had n e problems except for when I turned on a light in my room that is a long pole with a dimmer in it. Could this posible wghat was effecting it now that the radio waves do not have to travel through the light???
the_short1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 4:06 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

... the lamp... or the light rays??

light... hmmm i dont think so... different kind of rays... **different ends of the spectrum... ** blurry.... cant think... gr.9... ERRR~!!!@!@
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

as the_short1 says it is not posable for the light waves/particles to mess with the radio waves BUT the electity and wireing of the light could. if there is somting very wired or wrong with how the light is wired up it could give out a EM feled and mess with the waves and lots of other stuff alougth this is not very likey.

some things that could mess with it whold be cell phones, walky talkys, radios (trasmeters) and baby monotrns. the wifi radio wave range is un regualted so alomsot any cheap or wired elcetrioncal device could uses that range. you may whont to try chaging your chanle and seeing if that effects anything.
josh

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 7:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thanx, I did mean the light itself as it is pretty tall (almost like an antenna) and it had a pretty powerfull dimmer in it.
gamer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok as i mentioned b4, im on a wireless adapter while another computer connects to a router....my question is, is there anyway for me to know or check whether anyone else (like outside of my house) is in fact connected to my router? if I cant, how bout the computer thats connected to the router? i do hav the wep(password) on, but some hackers or wutever can easily break thru, so i just wanna check whether or not someone else is using my connection
shorthair

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 2:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

actually its not that eas , wardriving itsn as easy as you think , if you have ever seen the broken (underground show ) they teach you the best way to do it , with network stumbler and another app , it can take anywhere from 10 hours , to a few months , it captures packets from the networks and it needs just over a million packets to break in , if your a big companys with say 500 computers on the network , then getting in would be really fast , but a residential would take long long time , the app allows you to save your session so you can come back for a few hours everyday , and keep adding up packetts,

SO if you have stealth mode on, and a full 128 WEP key , and Win Pcap , you should never have a problem ,
gamer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea but still....ok let say i hav no wep, then is it possible to check??
the_short1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

WEP = Windows Encription Protection ? ?? ? Protocall??
roer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

the_short1 wrote:
ehhehe.... ROER u got it A$$ backwards....

KB is the amount in DATA transfer... and is SMALLER then Kb....

EG. my internet bandwidth is 1800 Kb ... but in acuall DOWNLOAD speed its like 250 KB Wink

According to the rogers home page they say they offer a 3000/392 profile. So divide by 8 to go from bits to bytes:
Download : 3000 KB/s = 375 kb/s
Upload : 392 KB/s = 49 kb/s

Then take into account an overhead cut of about 10% and you have an approximate speed if everything is set up properly. What was the point of your post?
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 4  [ 60 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: