Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Herve's Bar & Grill (compsci.ca) [the only spam topic]
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Amailer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i am, adsl.. but still i say my speed is slow comparing to the speeds that are shows on dslreports...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:58 am   Post subject: (No subject)

nah.. thats nothing..
go cable!

2004-07-03 12:57:29 EST: 2538 / 603
Your download speed : 2598951 bps, or 2538 kbps.
A 317.2 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 618238 bps, or 603 kbps.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:33 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i hate to break it to you but i have goten speeds just as fast if not faster on adsl.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

yea but see the thing is my computer is crap... and i have lotsa things chewing up my connection speed.. if i did it in safemode with something faster that what i have (p4 2.6) im sure it would be alot faster
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

what ISP do u have? b/c i bet they cap it at some speed.

Also most cable comnpleys have a cap on badwith witch sucks, but bell's adsl has no limits on bandwith witch is nice if u have a 150gb bandwith per month.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Andy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 6:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i use cogeco
rizzix

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 7:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well ok it basically boils down to this: ADSL is better for downloads and Cable is better off for uploads.

But cable is shared with ur entire neighbourhood. so once it get popular.. its bound to slow down. as far as adsl goes.. its a leased line.. and you hog it alone.
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 9:28 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Also b/c the line is shared with cable it brings up secruity issues, so u better have a firewall.

Also from what i have seen most of the cable comapnys around here are prity craping as in they do cheap evil things like cap bandwith and such. While bell has aucaly been being good to its cumomers for the most part (other then that hole msn+ thing). For examle they upgrade there speed from 2mbps max to 3mbps max with no chage in cost. they also upcaped bandwith like a year ago. Alougth bell may be a big evil comapy at least they are not being evil with there ISP part (other then the msn carp, that is just dum).
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Andy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 3:26 am   Post subject: (No subject)

i do have a capped bandwith.. but they dont care if u go over.. plus its pretty reasonable. and as for the sharing thing, every house on my street uses cable internet and thats the speed i get so im pretty satisfied with that.. my friends tried simpatico but they didnt like it too much
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:04 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I've used sympatico and rogers cable. Sympatico right after using rogers, so I have a clear memory. Sympatico download speed is much faster than rogers for me.
Amailer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 9:47 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Lately, all the people here who are using rogers have been having problems browsing the internet also.. wierd problem. I think sympatico is better, rogers offers good speed but when people use it, the speed comes down so low.... sucks
Mazer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I think DSL just might be crap in my area. My friend has DSL from sympatico and it's just garbage. I live about 5 minutes away and have DSL from MNSi and it's better (but nothing fantastic) which is weird because in the end the service is supposedly provided by Sympatico... ah well, the speed is alright for now.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:06 am   Post subject: (No subject)

the quality of your phone lines both in your home and in the area around you can greatly effect the speed of bell's DSL. Also if you live along way away from the one of there hub stations or w/e they call them it can also be effected. And if the setings on your comp are not right it also slows it down, u can look up some tewak pages to find out how to get the max setings.
Andy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:09 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
in your home

dam rite its in my hose
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 1:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

I have no idea what u are talking about at all Razz

You most have read my post wrong, ya thats it. u most have..... It did not have anything to do with me typing fast a 2am....

*Dan runs away and jumps in to a car*

VEROOOOM

there and try prove it now suckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*dan ducks as dodge throws a brick thorw the windsheld*

Owwww that hurt, and was totaly unnecary.
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 10 of 12  [ 167 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: