Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What is the best OS?
Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

What is the best OS?
(No ending time set)
OS/2
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OS 10
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
SunOS
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Win NT
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
Win XP
42%
 42%  [ 45 ]
Win 95-98
8%
 8%  [ 9 ]
Win 3.1
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
DOS
4%
 4%  [ 5 ]
Linux
23%
 23%  [ 25 ]
FreeBSD
1%
 1%  [ 2 ]
Unix
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
BeOS
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
AmigaOS
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
OS X
10%
 10%  [ 11 ]
Win ME
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
NetBSD
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
NetWare
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
OpenBSD
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
ULTRIX
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other
2%
 2%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 107

Tony

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

white_dragon wrote:
i personally have to say windows xp is the easiest and by far the BEST operation system there ever was to create.

out of curiosity, what other OS systems have you used and compared to XP?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Windows 3.1, Microsoft Bob, Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows ME Wink

By the way, why are there doubles in this poll? Dan, didn't I already fire you?
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
It doesn't offer the power user features that it really should though, which can be somewhat prohibative at times.

That is the next major problem Microsoft has to face. Even if they made Windows XP completely secure it would come with... well, by itself, not a whole heck of a lot, and it's expensive as well, compared to other offerings.

This wasn't so much a problem when its competitors were in the same boat, but grab any decent Linux distro and check it out. By default it's jam-packed full of useful software. Sure, some of it may lack polish and be unintuitive, but Microsoft that the norm years ago.

Oh the irony.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

And hey, I've never seen anyone come close to matching the quality that Microsoft puts into its various pieces of software such as Solitare, Minesweeper, and Free Cell. Very Happy
wtd

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Martin wrote:
And hey, I've never seen anyone come close to matching the quality that Microsoft puts into its various pieces of software such as Solitare, Minesweeper, and Free Cell. Very Happy

If that were true it'd be funny. As it is, those apps have long since been eclipsed by other versions of the same thing, and it's just sad. Smile
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

But...but...but...

My world is shattered.
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:09 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ok lets put it this way.. m$'s .NET Tools are impressive and their Office is unbeatable to date.
Martin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:22 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Well I'm gonna make my own OS...with hookers, and blackjack. On second thought, screw the blackjack. Ahh, screw the whole thing.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:17 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Hacker Dan wrote:
Paul Bian wrote:

I thought that was for palm pilots... ?

no, thats windows CE (i think)

and rizzix of cores it has no meaning Razz thats the fun of it. If anything this poll will show more of "what OS do you uses" then what os is the best.

Palm Pilots run palm os; windows CE hand helds run windows CE, and there are some smart phones which run symbianOS... there are a lot more operating systems then those listed...

Anyways I votes for unix as EVERY ONE OF THE OPERATING SYSTEMS LISTED IS BASED UPON EITHER THE UNIX API, OR THE IDEAS FOUND THEREIN (well... minor exceptions). Even modern windows has api hat are based upon those found in unix.

If I could sugest another OS to add to the list though it'd be minix, the smallest ever OS written for the PC; a complete unix enviroment on a sigle 360k floppy Wink Oh, and it's what started linux...
betaflye

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I have one further comment to make. Linux isn't an operating system, it is a kernel. GNU/Linux however is an operating system. Sorry I'm kinda a GNU/Linux zealot and I always make that distinction Smile
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:15 am   Post subject: (No subject)

betaflye wrote:
I have one further comment to make. Linux isn't an operating system, it is a kernel. GNU/Linux however is an operating system.

Yes. Of course, it's important to recognize when terms have been co-opted. Especially now and with Linux. Microsoft and friends would like nothing more than to muddy the terminology and make sure "Linux" means "Red Hat". It's best to go wih the public's use of "Linux" to denote an OS (well, really many OSes), and just make sure that things like Debian and descendants get fair recognition.
DIIST

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:31 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Dont you have to mout and unmount each time, like to access data form a floppy or something. Grade 12 final project is to modify linux so 1/4 th of our school computers run on it. Laughing
rdrake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:45 am   Post subject: (No subject)

thuvs wrote:
Dont you have to mout and unmount each time, like to access data form a floppy or something.
Not really anymore. Most systems will automatically mount new data source once they become available. Even then, it's easy to mount new drives.
DIIST

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2006 11:37 am   Post subject: (No subject)

cartoon_shark wrote:
Not really anymore. Most systems will automatically mount new data source once they become available. Even then, it's easy to mount new drives.

All i have to say is you got to love penguins, and probally apples. Windows tend to jam a lot, in reallife and in software. Rolling Eyes
andrew.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:55 am   Post subject: RE:What is the best OS?

My 2 favourite OSs are OS X and Windows Vista. I tried switching permanently to Ubuntu, but the lack of software really bugs me.
   Index -> CompSci.ca, General Discussion -> Featured Poll
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 4  [ 51 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: