Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Favourite P2P Clients
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
shorthair

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:45 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

dude ftp is definatly not p2p , becuae ftp is one on one , its FTP

FTP = File Transfer Protocal
P2P= Peer 2 Peer

Its a very very different way of transfering files , and its much more secure , also you direct connect to that computer with IP, PORT , PASS,USER
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Technically, FTP would be one on many, because you can have multiple people connected to one FTP server downloading a file. It's just slow as hell, especially if you are one of many people trying to download a PSX ISO and aren't aware of Bit Torrent Rolling Eyes
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:29 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i whould not consider ftp = p2p b/c the place you are dling it from whould be a server and every one dl's from the one place/person.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Maverick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

bit torrent is the slowest piece of shit ever made. FT is a million times faster ven with several ppl downloading one thing.
Mazer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:44 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Are you kidding me? What the heck were you downloading?
jonos

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

it took me 2 weeks to download all 4 slackware isos so that sucked a lot. i also downloaded some things and it was really damn slow.
Amailer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:51 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i know, i download whole games/movies so fast
Paul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:54 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Haha, the fastest I've ever gone on in bittorrent was 5 kb/s
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Mazer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Bit Torrent depends on how many people you are downloading from, and how much of the file(s) that the people you're connected to already have. If it's an old torrent, it'll probably take you a while to download. But for new games/apps, Bit Torrent is your best bet I'd say, since the number of people connected only speeds up the download instead of slowing it down.
Maverick

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I tried downloading the Passion of The Christ on Sattelite Internet it was gonna take like 4 days it was going so slow.
the_short1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:58 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i havn;t used anything besides Kazaa Lite.. and i have no complaints... i have found EVERYTHING i ever looked for... PLus more... and its Ez;.. and i get up to 200 KB downloads on kazaa (if like i dl from 10 or more)

the highest i got there was 300 KB.... it was like 30 ppl and it was a huge game... it rocked...

downloaded SOO FAST...

PS: there is a new FREE version of kazaa lite that has been released:
www.geocities.com/the_short69/Software
my site has the link.... Enjoy...

also kazaa lite has no SPYWARE, has a constant participation level of 1000 and..... enables you to acually download off of more then 50 ppl..

seriously... for Eminem-Superman there was SERIOUSLY 350 ppl with the same file to download off of.,... i so had that in 1 second...downloading FAST!!!

it acually only got to 20 ppl connected befoer it was finnished...
if it was bigger ... it probaly would got the 350 mark... of ppl downloading off of....(if you internet allowed downoads THAT fast..)
Catalyst

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 1:46 am   Post subject: (No subject)

ive used kazaa lite for a while and enjoyed it
ive taken a liking to shareaza recently
its very polished and full featured
wtd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:27 am   Post subject: (No subject)

jonos wrote:
i'd never pay for downloading stuff, that defeats the whole purpose.

Not really. Getting things for free may be one goal of P2P, but so is convenience. If it's a one-time expenditure of $20 or so for the program, to get a program that's powerful and incredibly easy to use, then it's worth it.

Think about it. If you have something like 2 gigabytes of downloaded files, that's 1 cent a MB or so, and it gets less for every file after that.

Quote:
is that for windows or only mac?

Mac. It's one of the programs that really sets the platform apart. It's simply wonderful to use. The user interface simply puts any other P2P program on Windows or Mac to shame. Smile

And the beta releases are free to use (full features), if memory serves.
shorthair

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i get 350 KB/S on bittorrent , and 300 KB/S on the newsgroups , i can get a GIGABYTE in about 38 minutes , ( using 6 threads )
naoki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hasn't this topic been done before? i think there was even a poll or something .....

anyways i like my shareaza just fine since it's pretty fast for all the popular searches (radio-played songs of bands for example) and it has some really useful features that make downloading easier

also, the downloading doesn't depend on how much you're sharing, which is a plus for a snob like me
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 43 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: