Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 what school did u learn turing in?
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
void

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:28 pm   Post subject: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

WHERE DID ALL THE KIDS FROM WATERLOO GO?!?!?!? Sad jesus.....(sorry to all u religious pplz Laughing ) i cant help it i dont beleive in religion...wateva... i attend Waterloo CI and it sucks coz u know wat...they teach turing in gr.10 AND 11 im in ten rite now...and in gr.12 they start VB...honestly....VB is easy enuff...in fact once you know how to "PROGRAM" any language is pretty easy to get the grasp of...its your math knowledge that helps you advance it with algorithms and crap...yea...but you gotta admit...most universities idea of a first year CS course is 1 semeseter of Turing (used ta be PASCAL) before you learn to do anything fancy.....i cant really blame my skool for having a shity program because they offer alot of computer courses..CISCO certification trainin, CS, CS&Bussiness, Bussiness, Web Programing, 3d Animation, Graphics Art....
i agree wit asok...but if you guys do start a petition..count be in...(not to sound like a brag)..but im pretty popular in my skool...so im good for about 50-60 signatures if that means anything (i can get alot of CS students from gr.10 and 11 to sign...and some that i know from 12).....
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:49 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

hehe, I'm taking compsci AP next year, counts for my first year CS in uni Wink but I'll see if I'd want to go straight into 2nd year or not.

and turing 10,11 and VB 12?! man, this blows. With no Java or C++ at all... we should seriosly consider trying to make some changed here.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Asok

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

fair enough but those signatures would not get us anywhere.

I share your concern, and I believe that the computer science highschool courses have been dumbed down across Ontario. But a petition is not the way to go, a petition is a good way to put pressure on a faction but seriously, who are we putting pressure on, those who are in control couldn't care because "more people than ever are getting involved in computer science" the problem is, our computer science program has been dumbed down to the point where it lacks the competitiveness of other countries and schools, as such it'll make getting into post-secondary education/work much harder for someone with limited knowledge provided by the ministry's current guideline.
Asok

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:57 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Tony, we definitely need change, there is no doubt about that the problem is the lack of interest from those in control because they feel if they make the course harder then there will be a lack of interest and less people will become involved. I say GOOD, if you're too moronic to understand the basics what's the point of dumbing it down so that person can just fail later on?

So it comes down to, how to make people realise that change is needed in order to remain competitive?
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:11 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Asok, the thing is that Canada is "trying" to be the world's leader in technology. Even Shannon said so during my year in metro.

Take any new technology. Hydrogen Fuel Cells for example.

There're using in Japan, US and Canada. Canada has annual conventions on it and such.

There were some "smart community" projects or whatnot... ask Shannon.

The point is, the way education stands now, it screws a lot of students over. I'm not even asking them to teach more advanced stuff, just to organize w/e program they got now.

To be honest, I didnt even want to take computer science this year. The way I figured I wouldnt be missing much anyway. Was in fact hoping for a year off to work on my own projects. Well I did end up taking compsci 12, but thats cuz of messed up skedual.

The point is, If Canada is hoping to succeed in technological field, they need to teach people how to use that technology. We need to get that point across.

As for petition, it needs to be phrased differently. Its shouldnt give advantage to just "expectional" compsci students. It would be to change technological education for the good of the country. Or something like that.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Asok

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

here's the problem as I see it, globalization, software companies/universities accept applicants all over the world, the problem is in many countries their courses are superior to ours, C++ is taught in grade 10 in some of South Korea for example. We need to keep our course competitive with that so we have an equal opportunity, as opposed to dumbing it down so more people can understand the basics of computer science.
Blade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i was just talkin to tony.. and the way I see it is to add different levels... for the people who are dumb take the M level course (collage/uni) and for the people who are serious and want to make a carrer of some sort out of it offer the U level (university)... tony said they'd have to hire more teachers, but if its worked out right you really wouldnt have to... you could hae the M level taught one day, and U the next for unsemestered schools and M offered one semester and U the next semster for those that are semestered... its really unfair to the people who like compsci and want a challange... this is the way to do it... just gotta figure out a way to make it so
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 8:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well I read weekly about problems with school's budgets Confused

besides, there shouldnt be a "compsci for the dummies" course. They should just have an appropriate learning curve where everyone can learn how to program in first year, but reserve next two years for those who actually care about compters, NOT forced to take the course because of the parents (or lack of open slots in other courses).

Point is, if you dont understand comp sci, you shouldnt be in the course for more then a year.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 9:27 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i like the idea of having difrent levels of compsic, waterloo univistey has somting like this for 1st year compsci students. the schools shode have like level 1 and 2 compsci. where 1 is for very lite to no proamgin knolgae and 2 for some to a lot of progaming knowalge.

at least they shode make shure there is a compsci clase for each year. it is just geting sade that there are so many grade 12 compsci calse being canclaed.

also i whode like to know if any one could recomend a good high school in watreloo area. i will be swching high schools soon and whode like to know if any one had some sugjestions.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Blade

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i think tony is very right about the compsci for dummies, and the first year, then the next 2 years about serious people... but instead of that... have one year of compsci for dummies (ppl who dont know what it is and wanna try it out) then have another level for the people who want to take it... we dont need a three year M level course... have grade ten M level, and grade 10,11,12 U level.. because if they dont like it they're not gonna persue it for the 11/12...
void

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:35 pm   Post subject: HACKER DANNNNN

i think i like tody's idea better because i know kids who are confused when you explain to them that when you put variables using put...you shouldnt use quotations?!?!?!?!?!seriously gr.10 compsci is a joke!!! so is gr.11 i made a program for one of my friends the other day and it was tooo easy...i think that tony's idea of intro is good...in fact if they could somehow incorporate that in the computers course where they teach you how to use "word" and "excel" and the rest of the office bundle...then kids would know what they are getting into AND it would be easier to make gr.11 and 12 courses more advanced...we could even start VB halfway thru gr.10 if they did that....petition...if its large enough...AND some local news companies are made aware of it ...like CITY TV and CKCO...they would make some adults realize the change that is needed...i mean if a walkout from school by kids who just wanna get high made the b.o.education realize something....then a petition by a large sum of students might have some effect......now as for Hacker Dans question....ASSUMIN that you want to do CS...go to WCI...it offers the best courses related to computers...the other schools are like nut houses Razz....by the way....what grade are you in?
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 5:05 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

thanks for the info void, i am in grade 11 now but will be in grade 12 when at new school.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:05 am   Post subject: (No subject)

those are all good ideas. And its true that action must be taken. Unfortunatly the world is conserned with SARS and war in Iraq, our voice will just not be heard. We must plan and wait for the right moment...

but yes, we defenatly would need a large exposure to get the point across. Newspaper coverage, maybe on some local news. Ofcourse a dedicated website and lots of letters to people with connections.

we just need organization, people and time
Blade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:24 am   Post subject: (No subject)

YAY! WE ARE GOING ON TV! YAY! YAY!!!!! Very Happy i always wanted to be on tv... yea goin on the news would probably get a lot of ppl thinking, because if its on the news it means its a real concern..
Asok

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:44 am   Post subject: (No subject)

blade, it'll probably end up being breakfast television, (been on that before) and very few people ever watch that, our best bet is probably newspaper such as National Post
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 4 of 7  [ 92 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: